Help with Sachs P5 Pentasport

  • cyclotourist
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 6, 2009
      Hey there IGH experts, I was pointed your way from the iBob list... for those of you not on that list, here's my situation:  I found a roadside cast off 24" bike.  VERY cool size for my rapidly growing kiddos.  I'm hoping to get it running, but it's built around a P5 hub that looks intact, but the shifter/clickbox are thrashed.  I can buy those new from Harris it looks like, but then I'm a bit stumped overall.  I've checked out the SRAM PDF http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/Ins_sram_P5_8_2005.pdf and it looks like I'm missing the pieces #2-6 in the diagram.  Rod #1 is present but bent all crazy-like and useless.  It doesn't seem like I can pull it out, either.  I'm "guessing" I could maybe get the missing pieces directly from SRAM, does anyone know if that's possible?  If so, I could probably then get the missing controls for it and try to get it together.  Aaron's cycles in Seattle was mentioned as a good place to get the hub working, but their cost is $175 + S&H.  It's not worth it to me to do that, so I'm REALLY hoping that the collective knowledge here can get this bike working!!!

      Pix of the hub/bike and a write up can be seen here:  http://cyclotourist.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-davey-get-this-bike-fixed.html

      THANKS for the consideration!

      --
      Cheers,
      David

      "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be.
    • chkamb@gmx.de
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
        Hi David,

        Please have a look on the German Ebay - there are complete clickboxes
        with cables and shifters from time to time for ~20 EUR..

        Regards
        Chris
      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
          David,

          I'm not an IGH expert, but as they say, on the internet nobody knows you're a dog...

          Yes, you are missing parts 1-6. And no, they don't come with the shifter/clickbox. BTW, the shifter/clickbox is commnly available in the USA. Here's just one of many sources (& your LBS could have gotten this for you if they'd wanted to get off their duffs and work for money):

          <http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=LD2506>

          OK, about your missing parts: the way SRAM runs their IGH business in N.A. is a puzzlement to the experts (so those experts tell me). Unlike Sturmey, there's no ready source(s) for individual small parts. Further, SRAM operates their manufacturing on a just-in-time, pull system, so unless, say, a distributor orders a large quantity of spares, they don't get fabricated.

          This puzzlement is exaserbated by the design of the clickbox used on the P5 and S7, with its many small, easily lost and potentially breakable shifter/hub interface parts.

          Enough philosophy, let's try to solve the problem. The most successful approach I've seen on this and several other 'net lists is to pick up the phone, call SRAM

          SRAM Corporation
          Chicago, Illinois
          Phone: +1-312-664-8800

          and explain your problem. Most who have done this have experienced the delight of SRAM mailing them a little packet with the required parts - at no charge. (Told you it was an odd business model.)

          Another approach is to contact the self-proclaimed SRAM IGH experts @ the Yellow Jersey Bike Shop in Madison WI:

          http://www.yellowjersey.org/

          Their web page is the most one of the most bizzare and unhelpful in the business, but legend and lore says they'll lay the phone down and go rummage around and see if they have the parts you need.

          Before you get either SRAM or YJ on the phone, decide what you want to do for lubrication. If you want to use the factory grease, ask for a tube of the official 00 0369 135 201. If you'd like to just go with dip-oil lubrication, you can pick up something appropriate (don't get us started) locally.

          Other than the spare parts situation, the SRAM IGHs are really nice. They are robust and efficient, have rational gear steps with easy connect/disconnects and are straighforward to disassemble/overhaul/assemble without the use of special tools.

          HTH,
          PJ
        • prester_john_in_cathay
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
            Question to SRAM: Why isn't it this easy

            <http://www.sbrsports.com/428-472256>

            in North America?

            PJ
          • prester_john_in_cathay
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
              And BTW, David, your diagram showed "parts 1-6", but it's really just the three parts. The other leaders were indicating features on the parts that have to be aligned.

              Best,
              PJ
            • cyclotourist
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                PJ, thanks!  I've figured out I can get the clickbox and from Harris Cyclery.  Since writing last night, I've unscrewed the pin and it's pretty mucky inside.  I'm tempted to give it an oil bath, but that's a story for another day....

                I've found an email on the internet for someone @ SRAM, and hopefully they'll get back to me with wonderful news.  If that doesn't work, I'll give the phone a call.  If that doesn't work, then Yellow Jersey.  If that doesn't work... well, let's hope I don't need to get that far along the list of contingencies!!!

                Here's where I found the email link:  http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-554814.html

                It's a great little bike, so I'm hoping I can get it going for the price of the clickbox and some new brake cables!

                David

                On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:28 AM, prester_john_in_cathay <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                And BTW, David, your diagram showed "parts 1-6", but it's really just the three parts. The other leaders were indicating features on the parts that have to be aligned.

                Best,
                PJ

                --
                Cheers,
                David
                Redlands, CA

                "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye, scientist guy
              • cyclotourist
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                  Hi Chris, thanks for the lead.  I can find the clickbox/shifter in the States, it's the small little attachment parts that I can't locate, or more accurately am in the process of locating... :-)

                  David

                  On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:25 AM, <chkamb@...> wrote:
                  Hi David,

                  Please have a look on the German Ebay - there are complete clickboxes
                  with cables and shifters from time to time for ~20 EUR..

                  Regards
                  Chris

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     Geared_hub_bikes-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     Geared_hub_bikes-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                    David;

                    That is a link I posted for Mr. Fowler at SRAM on BF. He came through for me but I still do not see the increased availability of SRAM IGH spares and accessories he claimed they are working for other than iM9 sprockets are now available from multiple sources.

                    PJ, you listed the exact same sources that I was going to suggest but you beat me to it! :-)

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, cyclotourist <cyclotourist@...> wrote:

                    > PJ, thanks! I've figured out I can get the clickbox and from Harris
                    > Cyclery. Since writing last night, I've unscrewed the pin and it's pretty
                    > mucky inside. I'm tempted to give it an oil bath, but that's a story for
                    > another day....
                    >
                    > I've found an email on the internet for someone @ SRAM, and hopefully
                    > they'll get back to me with wonderful news. If that doesn't work, I'll give
                    > the phone a call. If that doesn't work, then Yellow Jersey. If that
                    > doesn't work... well, let's hope I don't need to get that far along the list
                    > of contingencies!!!
                    >
                    > Here's where I found the email link:
                    > http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-554814.html
                    >
                    > It's a great little bike, so I'm hoping I can get it going for the price of
                    > the clickbox and some new brake cables!
                    >
                    > David
                    >

                    > On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:28 AM, prester_john_in_cathay <
                    > prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > And BTW, David, your diagram showed "parts 1-6", but it's really just the
                    > > three parts. The other leaders were indicating features on the parts that
                    > > have to be aligned.
                    > >
                    > > Best,
                    > > PJ
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Cheers,
                    > David
                    > Redlands, CA
                    >
                    > "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
                    > wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." ~Bill Nye,
                    > scientist guy

                  • cyclotourist
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                      Hi Rich, that's funny that I linked to your conversation!  Love the internets!

                      Anyway, I've been in contact with Mr. Fowler, and her name is Brook!  :-)

                      She gave me a part # for the whole assembly and it's "00.0591.304.016 shift-rod,-tube and locating sleeve"

                      I'm going to see if my LBS will go to the effort to get it for me as she said I can't get it directly... my LBS has shown ZERO interest in this so far, so hopefully they can get it in a timely manner.  I've read the horror stories of dealing with SRAM, so who knows...

                      BTW, She suggested I try to determine if the hub works first before I invest my time and others into it... any suggestions as to how I do that?  I mean, I spin the cranks and the wheel turns, that's a start, right!!!

                      :-)

                      --
                      Cheers,
                      David
                      Redlands, CA

                      "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye, scientist guy
                    • james black
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                        On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 17:31, cyclotourist <cyclotourist@...> wrote:
                        > BTW, She suggested I try to determine if the hub works first before I invest my time and others into it... any suggestions as to how I do that?  I mean, I spin the cranks and the wheel turns, that's a start, right!!!

                        I used to have a clickbox hub, but I had never used it. I tried
                        spinning the wheel with the pushrod inserted various amounts into the
                        hub, and could see a change in the gear ratio between wheel and cog.

                        James Black
                        Los Angeles, CA
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                          David;

                          On BF I am tatfiend as I am a bit of a tattoo collector among other idiocyncracies and there is only one legal way I know of to collect tattoos :-)

                        • cyclotourist
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                            OK, I've done that w/ my SA hubs... will give it a try.  Welcome to the group, Mr. Black!  :-)

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                              We all have to collect something, don't we.

                              At least your collection is portable!

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 8, 2009
                                > She gave me a part # for the whole assembly and
                                > it's "00.0591.304.016
                                > shift-rod,-tube and locating sleeve"

                                Yep, that's it I linked to in post #1992. One shouldn't have to order $4 worth of parts from overseas and pay international shipping, though.

                                It sounds like the current situation is:
                                LBS says to contact SRAM for parts support.
                                SRAM says to contact LBS for parts support.
                                Consumer buys replacement Shimano or Sturmey IGH.

                                PJ
                              • cyclotourist
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 8, 2009
                                  On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:07 AM, prester_john_in_cathay <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                                  > She gave me a part # for the whole assembly and
                                  > it's "00.0591.304.016
                                  > shift-rod,-tube and locating sleeve"

                                  Yep, that's it I linked to in post #1992. One shouldn't have to order $4 worth of parts from overseas and pay international shipping, though.

                                  It sounds like the current situation is:
                                  LBS says to contact SRAM for parts support.
                                  SRAM says to contact LBS for parts support.
                                  Consumer buys replacement Shimano or Sturmey IGH.

                                  PJ

                                  Yeah, serious... I thought the hard part would be figuring out "how" to get it running... turns out it's just getting a  couple bucks worth of misc. parts!  Hopefully my LBS will be accommodating.  They're the kinda' place that I have to be specific and tell them exactly what I want from J&B or QP.  Maybe even give them a part number.  Then after five minutes of their telling me there's no such thing/questioning me why I want it, they'll order it for me.   I'm consciously trying to throw some $$$ their way rather than buying it on ebay or mail order, for cheaper!  I get it that it's not big $$$ and it's a bit of a hassle for them, but last I checked that was what their business did!!!  They help me out with the small parts, then I order a Surly Karate Monkey I'm thinking about from them instead of X website.  I think they must have the same business plan as SRAM & the underpants gnomes:

                                  1)  Make it real hard for customer/end user to get needed parts
                                  2) ????
                                  3) Profit!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 8, 2009
                                    It could be worse. You could need parts support for a Shimano 4-speed hub of the same vintage.

                                    On the subject of getting your adopted Sachs P5 back in service, I doubt you'll have to do anything further than clean and relube, but if it comes to it SRAM does have some very thorough tech manuals available on their web site.

                                    Best,
                                    PJ
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 8, 2009
                                      At least SRAM parts are available if you are willing to do an overseas order. Apparently Shimano does a small run of spares for a hub while it is in production and once those are used up by worldwide demand then the whole world is SOL unless they are lucky enough to find a NOS part source with the needed item available or start cannibalizing a bike with the same hub if they can find one.

                                      Rich Wood

                                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                                      > It could be worse. You could need parts support for a Shimano 4-speed hub of the same vintage.
                                      >
                                      > On the subject of getting your adopted Sachs P5 back in service, I doubt you'll have to do anything further than clean and relube, but if it comes to it SRAM does have some very thorough tech manuals available on their web site.
                                      >
                                      > Best,
                                      > PJ

                                    • cyclotourist
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 29, 2009
                                        Short version update:  Still waiting for parts.

                                        Long version update:  http://cyclotourist.blogspot.com/2009/12/ok-whats-up-with-incompetent-people-i.html

                                        I'm pretty much deciding to only buy mailorder from now and if that contributes to putting my LBS out of business, so be it.