Re: Best Winter Batteries

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
      Mark;

      Per their AA size battery data sheet they are only listed for use down to 32F or 0C. The electrolyte is water based. Also capacity is still limited compared to NIMH AA batteries at 1500 mAh Typical. The higher voltage out is IMO good for many applications as it is a lot closer to Alkaline voltage output. No information on rate of discharge while not being used that I have found.

      Bike Forums just had sample photos posted of a couple of bike taillights being run with NIMH AAA batteries and Eveready Lithium cells and the difference in light output was quite noticeable due to the higher voltage of the Lithium cells.

      BTW in AA size these are available at retail from several sources including Amazon.

      Rich Wood

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
        With the higher voltage actual capacity is about the same as the Sanyo Eneloops when both are figured as Watt hours due to the higher voltage out and the voltage versus discharge curve appears to be very flat. Per a engineer's review on Amazon the NiZn cells have better charge retention than normal NIMH but not nearly as good as the low leakage versions such as the Eneloops. His tests say a loss of about 12% of charge per month. The specified number of charge cycles before end of life is also lower than NIMH cells.

        Rich Wood