26F and a Sram S7

  • Mike Bullis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
      26F this morning on the ride into work and nary a shifting issue with
      the Sram S7. My knees and lungs should work as well at these temps
      first thing in the morning.

      I bet it's colder up by Mark, though.

      BTW, Mark-I'm originally from Eau Claire.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
        At 07:50 AM 11/25/2008, Mike Bullis wrote:

        >26F this morning on the ride into work and nary a shifting issue with
        >the Sram S7. My knees and lungs should work as well at these temps
        >first thing in the morning.
        >
        >I bet it's colder up by Mark, though.

        14F this morning but I've been too busy to ride. Supposed to hit 39F
        Wed. and Thur. so I hope to get some miles in.

        Last year I did find out that, at -11F, a Sturmey S5 shifts OK but is
        A LOT more efficient in direct gear. I also discovered that Brooks'
        claim that leather saddles are cooler than padded ones really is
        true. Ordered a sheepskin cover that evening.

        I was planning on putting Mobil 1 in that hub for winter but now it
        looks like I won't be ridding a hub gear this season. After 42
        winters on a bike I finally broke down and got a set of Schwalbe
        studded tires for one of my recumbents. Much lighter and less stiff
        than Nokians.

        Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
        5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
        Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
        http://mnhpva.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
          Talking of tires, any opinions on what are the most thorn & glass
          resistant tires out there?

          Being in high desert, and in a state without a beverage bottle
          recycling program, lots of both on the roads.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...>