Re: New Bike Ordered

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008
      Picked up the Civia Hyland Rohloff bike Monday.

      First impressions:

      Well made and equipped. Also expensive. Overkill in some cases as
      for instance it has circular plate type chain guards or guides on
      BOTH sides of the chain ring as well as a full length upper run
      chain guard. The chain is certainly not going to come off even if
      adjusted way too loose.

      Fenders are paint matched aluminum with lots of wrap. They should
      be very effective.

      The rack is light but heavy duty. Rated for 25 Kg or 55 pounds
      according to the manual. It sits very close to the fender and rear
      wheel so weight carried is as low as possible.

      Components are excellent quality. Stem and seatpost are Thomson.
      The saddle is a Fizik Aliante. The fork is full carbon fiber.
      Brakes, crank set and generator hub are Shimano Alfine. The Alfine
      parts are claimed to be Ultegra level quality for
      commuter/city/geared hub type bikes, Shimano's best for this
      category of bikes.

      Light output of the Shimano Hub generator headlight is minimal. I
      may upgrade the headlight to one of the German LED ones which
      reportedly have about 4x the light output, 50 to 60 Lumens. I have
      installed a CygoLite mount too for when I want reallly bright
      battery operated lighting.

      The Rohloff hub appears smaller and the SRAM 9 speed on my Swobo.
      Per factory specs it is also lighter. Both are similar spec as they
      are freewheel hubs with disc brake rotors installed. Operation is
      smooth and it is quiet in gears 8 through 14. You can hear the
      internal gears whirring away in the lower gears. Even new however
      it feels smoother and more precision than any other geared hub I
      have ridden. For the price it should!

      An item to get used to is shifter rotation is opposite that of the
      SRAM unit. The shifter is rotated clockwise for higher gears; ie
      the top is rotated away from the rider. The SRAM shifter is rotated
      towards the rider for higher gear selection.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"