Re: Sturmey S2C info

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2009
      A year or two ago the person at hubstripping.com had some NOS 2 speed Sachs hubs. I know he had both types of automatics - the two types being the rpm at which they shifted, one for small wheels and the other for large. He may also have had backpedal ones; I forget. I only got one automatic since I already had a couple of bendix backpedal hubs and an old Sturmey Archer S2 non-coaster-brake backpedal 2 speed.

      I have one of the Bendix backpedal 2 speeds on my Westfield Compact Super Traveller - the civilian version of the WW2 paratroopers bike, or so I am told (the name is also what I was told; the only label on the bike is Westfield). It works OK here; the bike comes apart in the middle so the lack of cables is a big advantage. I did have the ASC with QR indicator on that bike for a while, but the bike geometry did not work well as fixed.

      Michael Wilson
    • prester_john_in_cathay
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2009
        > Overdrive, so obviously aimed at small
        > wheel wheel bikes.

        The only prototype shown was a belt drive model, but one could readily imagine this hub will be sold in a chain drive model with either a std. three tab sprocket or a nine tab freehub style sprocket.

        Hypothetically taking 27" diameter wheels and a commonly available 42T chainwheel and 21T sprocket, I get...scratching on the back of an envelope...two gears of 54" and 74".

        Pj