S.A. single cable 5 speed reliability

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009
      I have read from Peter Reed of Phoenix Hub Gears that the single-cable Sturmey 5 speeds had a fundamental design flaw - the internal loads could be unbalanced if the parts were not really accurately made, and so some examoles did not work well. This may have been corrected on later versions. But internally more than just the shift mechanism changed - I believe the planet cage also changed.

      I forget the details; I could look it up if anyone cares.

      I also have a spare alloy 2-pull-chain 5 speed (as well as the aforementioned box of NOS 5 speed spares) if anyone cares.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009
        Mike;

        Thanks for the reference to Phoenix. I Googled it and have added them to the IGH repair links in the Links area. Anyone with knowledge of such companies is encouraged to list them as resources for other members.

        Under Publications on their web site they also list a 400 page book, self published, on SA geared hubs. Listed as available in printed format or as a PDF or Word file on CD. Not inexpensive but it may be worth it to SA enthusiasts.

        "Sturmey-Archer, The End and New Beginnings" is the book and the web site is:

        http://www.phoenixhubgearrepairs.co.uk/

        Rich Wood