Re: Prices on old two shifter 5 speed Sturmey Archer hubs?

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
      Sounds like the price I paid for the S5-2 Alloy hub through the offer by a fellow group member here was an excellent buy. Much less than $200 and mine included all the original items including two shifters, all NOS.

      Interesting though as IMO current gear hub selections are probably the most varied in the history of the units, at least as far as speeds and overall gear ranges available. The exceptions, not currently made, are the medium and narrow range 3 and 4 speed hubs that SA used to offer. So far as I know these were all relatively small production specialty items, primarily for racers, which were dropped from production once derailleur gearing became common in GB.

      Unless someone has had an original unit fail on a bike and wants to keep it as original as possible for some reason I personally see little point in paying very high prices for most items of non current technology which are to actually be used. Collectors are a different category of buyers.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@...> wrote:

      > WOW, a two shifter 5 speed SA hub went for over $200 on ebay! What gives on these hubs? I was trying to add one to my collection, looks like it's not happening anytime soon....
      >
      > No shifter, wrong cog, $214 plus shipping:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200400296462&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    • Mike Bullis
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
        Wow is right, the price paid is past ridiculous. I have two S5/2 hubs with all the fiddley bits and I bet I don't have ten bucks tied up in the two of them. Then again, I'm not a rabid collector. I'm more of a five and ten buck kinda guy rooting through the junk box at a swap meet. Unless the item is really something I need to finish a project and then I still limit myself.

        The owner of the LBS asked if I wore a mask when I got my Alfine rear wheel for $17.00.8-)

        Sounds like the price I paid for the S5-2 Alloy hub through the offer by a fellow group member here was an excellent buy. Much less than $200 and mine included all the original items including two shifters, all NOS.

        Interesting though as IMO current gear hub selections are probably the most varied in the history of the units, at least as far as speeds and overall gear ranges available. The exceptions, not currently made, are the medium and narrow range 3 and 4 speed hubs that SA used to offer. So far as I know these were all relatively small production specialty items, primarily for racers, which were dropped from production once derailleur gearing became common in GB.

        Unless someone has had an original unit fail on a bike and wants to keep it as original as possible for some reason I personally see little point in paying very high prices for most items of non current technology which are to actually be used. Collectors are a different category of buyers.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@.. .> wrote:

        > WOW, a two shifter 5 speed SA hub went for over $200 on ebay! What gives on these hubs? I was trying to add one to my collection, looks like it's not happening anytime soon....
        >
        > No shifter, wrong cog, $214 plus shipping:
        > http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& item=20040029646 2&ssPageName= STRK:MEWAX: IT

      • palatine_ej
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
          > Sounds like the price I paid for the S5-2 Alloy hub through the offer by a fellow group member here was an excellent buy. Much less than $200 and mine included all the original items including two shifters, all NOS.

          One of those w/full kit went for ~$80 a couple of weeks ago.
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
            Prices on ebay can vary all over the map. A couple of bidders get a hair up their bums for an item and bid it to ridiculous prices at times. Also some people apparently bid under another name on their own posted items in an effort to drive the price higher. When I was buying on ebay I received enough second bidder offers to buy that either a lot of supposed winning bidders do no follow through or there is more seller bidding shenanigans going on than I want to see allowed.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@...> wrote:

            > > Sounds like the price I paid for the S5-2 Alloy hub through the offer by a fellow group member here was an excellent buy. Much less than $200 and mine included all the original items including two shifters, all NOS.
            >
            > One of those w/full kit went for ~$80 a couple of weeks ago.

          • Bob Power
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
              Seller bidding is seriously low behavior.  Do they think the rules of normal human interaction are suspended, just because it's online?

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
                At  11/10/2009 10:02 PM -0600, Bob Power  wrote:

                Seller bidding is seriously low behavior.  Do they think the rules of normal human interaction are suspended, just because it's online?

                About 70-75% of the items I've won on eBay have been at or within $0.50 of my maximum bid.
                 Coincidence? Maybe......

                Mark Stonich;
                  BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                    5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                         Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                                     http://mnhpva.org

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 10, 2009
                  At  11/10/2009 02:18 PM +0000, palatine_ej wrote:
                  WOW, a two shifter 5 speed SA hub went for over $200 on ebay! What gives on these hubs? I was trying to add one to my collection, looks like it's not happening anytime soon....

                  No shifter, wrong cog, $214 plus shipping:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200400296462&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

                  Seems like I'm not alone in my belief that the S5 was the pinnacle of IGH technology and it's all been downhill since.   I had just written to the Gentlemen Cyclists that 28h and 40h S5s went relatively cheaply but the rarer 36h often sold for MUCH higher.  I recently won a 28h, new in the box with everything but the shifters (bell crank fulcrum clip pulleys etc.), for less than 1/3 of what that 36h went for.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                    > Seems like I'm not alone in my belief that the S5 was the pinnacle of IGH technology and it's all been downhill since.

                    This is starting to make sense. Someone posted a question to the ebay seller stating this hub is known for it's low friction losses.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                      I wonder what measurements this belief is based on. Measured IGH efficiency information seems to be relatively scarce and I remember the post from Mark Stonich about his preference for the S5-1 due to it's lower friction and unloaded internal spring in most gears compared to the S5-2.

                      The S5 seems to have been the last truly reliable design from SA GB, at least based on the discontinuance of the 7 speed SA hubs and the reputation of the original 8 speeds. Is anyone aware of problems with the later single shift cable SA 5 speed hubs?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                        At  11/11/2009 04:40 PM +0000, Rich wrote:
                        I wonder what measurements this belief is based on. Measured IGH efficiency information seems to be relatively scarce and I remember the post from Mark Stonich about his preference for the S5-1 due to it's lower friction and unloaded internal spring in most gears compared to the S5-2.

                        Actually it's the S5, with the pushrod and bellcrank on the left, I prefer.  The 2 chain S5/1 and the S5/2 function identically but have minor internal differences.

                        The S5 seems to have been the last truly reliable design from SA GB, at least based on the discontinuance of the 7 speed SA hubs and the reputation of the original 8 speeds. Is anyone aware of problems with the later single shift cable SA 5 speed hubs?

                        I have heard from a few people who say they are hard to keep in adjustment.  And I can't believe the slotted axle can be as strong as the 2 cable models.  (Though quite likely strong enough)