Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Kids! Be the first on you r block with  an S3X!

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
      At  11/8/2009 05:37 PM -0800, you wrote:
      Fascinating...

      Is there any way to make this freewheel though?

      You can thread on a single speed freewheel.

      I never got the appeal of fixed-gears

      If you don't like fixed gears, this hub, even with a FW attached, would be a poor choice.  The ratios are goofy, with the 1st to 2nd shift being 20% and the 2nd to 3rd being 33.3%.  For a freewheeling hub you would want these reversed.

      I believe these ratios only make sense if you ride in 2nd most of the time even though 3rd is direct.  Since you can't coast it will be nice to have a very high 3rd gear for downhills.

      Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
          5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
               Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                           http://mnhpva.org