Lies, Darned Lies and Lumens

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2009
      Off the subject of IGH bikes but with winter coming and more lights use needed for winter riding I thought this might be of interest.

      Per the following report from Light & Motion it looks like a lot of bike LED headlights outputs are grossly exaggerated. The testing was reportedly done by an independent laboratory but no way to tell if the Light & Motion lights were cherry picked for the test. The other brands measured results are mostly pretty lousy compared to claimed Lumens outputs.

      http://www.bikelights.com/images/test_data/2009_test_data_summary.pdf

      I get the impression that for most LED lights the listed light output is based on LED manufacturers claimed output levels which presume that the driving circuitry is optimized for ideal voltage and current levels and the LED chip is kept properly cooled to optimum temperature.

      The only LED headlight makers I know of who clearly claim their Lumens outputs are based on actual testing of production units are Niterider and Light & Motion.

      Personally I wish there was a law making false or misleading advertising or published specifications illegal. Of course all the LED lights makers would have to do then is make the disclaimer that light output is based on LED manufacturers ratings. I have seen that done too.