Re: New Bike Ordered

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
      The Civia Hyland Rohloff bike should be here Tuesday by current best
      estimate. Looking forward to taking delivery of it.

      BTW per published specifications the Rohloff hub weighs about 200
      grams less than the SRAM 9 speed disc brake or freewheel hub. The
      SRAM drum brake or coaster brake equipped hubs are even heavier yet.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008
        Picked up the Civia Hyland Rohloff bike Monday.

        First impressions:

        Well made and equipped. Also expensive. Overkill in some cases as
        for instance it has circular plate type chain guards or guides on
        BOTH sides of the chain ring as well as a full length upper run
        chain guard. The chain is certainly not going to come off even if
        adjusted way too loose.

        Fenders are paint matched aluminum with lots of wrap. They should
        be very effective.

        The rack is light but heavy duty. Rated for 25 Kg or 55 pounds
        according to the manual. It sits very close to the fender and rear
        wheel so weight carried is as low as possible.

        Components are excellent quality. Stem and seatpost are Thomson.
        The saddle is a Fizik Aliante. The fork is full carbon fiber.
        Brakes, crank set and generator hub are Shimano Alfine. The Alfine
        parts are claimed to be Ultegra level quality for
        commuter/city/geared hub type bikes, Shimano's best for this
        category of bikes.

        Light output of the Shimano Hub generator headlight is minimal. I
        may upgrade the headlight to one of the German LED ones which
        reportedly have about 4x the light output, 50 to 60 Lumens. I have
        installed a CygoLite mount too for when I want reallly bright
        battery operated lighting.

        The Rohloff hub appears smaller and the SRAM 9 speed on my Swobo.
        Per factory specs it is also lighter. Both are similar spec as they
        are freewheel hubs with disc brake rotors installed. Operation is
        smooth and it is quiet in gears 8 through 14. You can hear the
        internal gears whirring away in the lower gears. Even new however
        it feels smoother and more precision than any other geared hub I
        have ridden. For the price it should!

        An item to get used to is shifter rotation is opposite that of the
        SRAM unit. The shifter is rotated clockwise for higher gears; ie
        the top is rotated away from the rider. The SRAM shifter is rotated
        towards the rider for higher gear selection.