Re: Anyone tried the new Sturmey X-FDD dynamo/ drum front hub?

  • pdxrandonneur
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 22, 2009
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaldwin207" <johnbaldwin207@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for that. I'm running flat bars (similar to the Soma noah's arc). I've also read that the Shimano servo-wave 1 finger brake has an extremely high (and readily adjustable) translation of mechanical advantage. I'm running the stock Nexave 3 finger moto style levers.
      > What is the exact model of your failed Cane Creek levers? I'd like to know so that I can never buy them or ever refer them to customers.

      I would be concerned that the 1-finger servo-wave just doesn't have enough lever for the roller brake, regardless of the mechanical advantage. They seem to need a long lever, unless you have incredible hulk hands. I have had both of the tektro road levers, the R200a and the RL520, fail under the same conditions, within the same time frame and the same way. First the quick release button eats a hole into the plastic body and you are riding in quick release all the time. Next the plastic body starts to disintigrate and the entire brake lever comes out. I am a hard user, but that just means that I ride a lot and use my brakes a lot, not that the brakes get smashed or beaten up. Both of the levers failed within two years for simply being ridden on. The cane creek levers look to be the same as the tektros. The basic problem is that brake levers should be made out of metal, not plastic.

      -Rando