Re: Sachs Spectro E12, anyone know about it, ride/own one?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2009
      EJ;

      The tech manual for it is still available for download on the SRAM web site, the 1999 manual. It was apparently huge in size, heavy, expensive and unreliable. Size was close to the NuVinci hub and wheels built with it had a lot of dish. Also very different spoke lengths required for the two sides of a wheel. It did have interesting ratios with much smaller % jumps between gears in the higher gears. It tried to make gear inch changes the same between ratios rather than percentage changes being the same as in the Rohloff hub.

      Per what I have read the reason for the sale of the Sachs bicycle components division was that Sachs was never able to make inroads into the OEM supplier market outside Europe and even there were well behind Shimano in sales. Apparently just not profitable, or not profitable enough. Below is the manual link.

      http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/DTM_GHS_E_99.pdf

      Rich Wood