Re: Bottle Dynamo Questions

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 15, 2009
      At my age I do not find 1 watt LED lights enough. Even multiples do not have the reach and output I want. I want lights to truly see by even on unlit roads rather than to be seen by, at least in front. The newest LED dynamo lights manage that pretty well. Some dedicated battery LED bike lights now put out a claimed 900 to 1200 Lumens.

      To me, and most users IMO, the attraction of a dynamo system is that once installed you always have lights available w/o the hassle of charging batteries or buying new ones no matter how long the ride. Also no chance of forgetting to charge bateries or forgetting to carry spares. Even rechargeable batteries do not last forever and replacement batteries for the high power battery LED bike lights are mostly proprietary and expensive.

      It adds some weight but I do not worry about that much. Most of my bikes also have rear racks and stands installed and one has the NuVinci hub. I definitely lean towards practicality and hassle free use for my bikes. The bottle dynamo systems probably add less than 1.5 pounds total to bike weight, depending on lights chosen.

      As for drag it is minimal with the dynamo front hub. The BB or bottle dynamo systems will just make me work a little harder and one of my purposes for biking is to get exercise.

      If I wanted minimum weight then a top end CF road bike can be had that weighs under 16 pounds claimed. I could probably use such a bike to do a IGH conversion that weighed 18 pounds or so. Not my style of bike any more however.

      Rich Wood