Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: The Ideal Kids First Multispeed Bike?

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2009
      At  10/6/2009 06:37 PM +0000, you wrote:
      Mark;

      See! As a custom fabricator you have a lot more expertise in this area than I have. Thanks as I am learning a lot.

      I have never heard of or seen the Huret Demulitiplicator Relais.

      Of course you haven't, it doesn't exist.  I had a brain fart. Should have written SIMPLEX Demulitiplicator Relais.
      http://velobase.com/CompImages/SmallParts/3E640426-0814-4319-95C1-A182B4A79C62.jpeg

      Do you have a link to a description and/or picture?

      Here's one of mine I made a braze on fitting for, 25 years ago.
      http://bikesmithdesign.com/fittings/demultiplicator.JPG
      I'd never heard of one being brazed on.   But now that I'm aware of the French Constructeurs, I'm sure it wasn't the 1st.

      It works a bit like a Travel Agent in reverse.  5mm of cable travel at 3kg of force going in is translated to 3mm of cable travel at 5kg of force going out.  Meant for use with bar end shifters.

      The LBS I deal with primarily has done some custom work for disabled bicyclists from what the owner has told me. One I see riding around town is a one armed Vietnam veteran.

      A large part of my work is for people with some sort of "Special Needs".  Definitely the most satisfying part.

      Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
          5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
               Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                           http://mnhpva.org

    • prester_john_in_cathay
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 9, 2009
        > The trigger shifter is easier to
        > operate than the typical derailleur
        > grip shifter...

        SRAM offers a "Bandix" twist shifter for their three speed hubs that's supposed to require less force to twist. Indications are this shifter is for the Euro kid's bikes market. Never seen one, don't know if it does the job.

        > Maybe a coaster rear brake and a
        > hand operated front one?

        My experience has been most kids can shift OK before they're 100% reliable on hand brakes. The front caliper/rear coaaster seems like a good set up on a child's first geared bike.

        > Should there be 16" and 20" IGH bikes
        > aimed at the kids market...

        Yes.

        > or would they
        > have to be too expensive to sell well?

        The way this used to work in America was that affluent families bought nice bikes for their children. When said children outgrew the bikes, they were sold on the used market and passed down through many kids and several socioeconomic levels.

        Today the children of affluent families play Dave Mirra on their Wii in front of the big screen and are hauled to school, scouts and organized sports in SUVs. Kids down the socioeconomic ladder get POS bikes from big box stores.

        PJ