Re: S.A. 7 speed, was How rugged is the new Sturmey Archer 5 speed

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2009
      My understanding from several sources was that the 7 speed was not strong enough for 26 inch or 700c wheels. I forget if it was Peter Reed of Phoenix Hub Gears or one of the other English S.A. people (Peter Paine?) who said this.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
        Mike;

        Sounds like similar problems to the Sturmey Archer first generation 8 speed. Hopefully the new 8W will take care of the problems the old version had when used in large diameter wheels.

        Interesting as both were apparently SA GB designs done prior to the sale to Sunrace. I wonder if the old SA design engineers had all retired and been replaced by less experienced designers.

        One of the reasons I personally favor following minimum recommended input ratios for IGH hub installations where available. Keeping the input torque level down has to be kinder to the hub IMO.

        Rich Wood