How rugged is the new Sturmey Archer 5 speed

  • palatine_ej
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
      How rugged is the newer Sturmy Archer 5 speed X-RD5. The alumnum shell with 70mm drum and grip shift? I was thinking about using one on a city bike with cargo capacity. Nexus redband and Alfine are soooo nice at their selling price it's hard to consider other options.

      Eric
    • shedborn
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@...> wrote:

        > How rugged is the newer Sturmy Archer 5 speed X-RD5. The alumnum shell with 70mm drum and grip shift? I was thinking about using one on a city bike with cargo capacity. Nexus redband and Alfine are soooo nice at their selling price it's hard to consider other options.
        >
        > Eric

        I have built a few into wheels for customers and actually had no complaints, Shimano Nexus is not easy to get here Sturmey is, and with the new 5 wide ratio I think its onwards and upwards for sturmey.
        It appears to me that Sturmey are really paying attention to wants and trends in the UK and seem to bending toward taking notice of input from the people using the equipment

        shedborn

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
          Shedborn;

          Good to know. On the subject of another SA hub, why was the 7 speed discontinued? Did it have some design problems? The 8 speed does not seem to really replace it due to ratio choices used in the 8 speed. I note that Shimano and SRAM still offer 7 speed IGH units. In fact from some things I have read the 7 speed SRAM is apparently very common on bikes in Germany and Holland.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "shedborn" <shedborn@...> wrote:

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@> wrote:
          > >
          > > How rugged is the newer Sturmy Archer 5 speed X-RD5. The alumnum shell with 70mm drum and grip shift? I was thinking about using one on a city bike with cargo capacity. Nexus redband and Alfine are soooo nice at their selling price it's hard to consider other options.
          > >
          > > Eric
          >
          > I have built a few into wheels for customers and actually had no complaints, Shimano Nexus is not easy to get here Sturmey is, and with the new 5 wide ratio I think its onwards and upwards for sturmey.
          > It appears to me that Sturmey are really paying attention to wants and trends in the UK and seem to bending toward taking notice of input from the people using the equipment
          >
          > shedborn

        • shedborn
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
            Re the question regarding the 7 speed Sturmey, from my recent conversation with my stockist of SA I have a feeling the new 5 speed wide ratio will perhaps be the the bridge between 5 & 8 speed, I have yet to try it but reports back from those who have look very promising.
            Due to some of the minor technical issues with the SA 8 speed in the UK the 5 (W) has been suggested as a replacement and with it seems great success as there is no delivery date set for the uprated/improved 8 speed SA hub complete at the moment although warranty repair uprated internals are already being delivered to stockist as we speak

            shedborn

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
              Shedborn;

              As I recall the new SA 5 speed wide ratio hub has about the same range as the SRAM P5, about 250%. Also similar to the Shimano 7 speed overall range while the SRAM 7 speed overall range is similar to the Shimano 8 speed hubs but with less refined shifting.

              How is availability and cost of the SRAM hubs in GB? They could provide an alternative to SA and Shimano for some bike conversions. I do wish alternatives to the grip shifters were available for them though for drop bar use.

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "shedborn" <shedborn@...> wrote:

              > Re the question regarding the 7 speed Sturmey, from my recent conversation with my stockist of SA I have a feeling the new 5 speed wide ratio will perhaps be the the bridge between 5 & 8 speed, I have yet to try it but reports back from those who have look very promising.
              > Due to some of the minor technical issues with the SA 8 speed in the UK the 5 (W) has been suggested as a replacement and with it seems great success as there is no delivery date set for the uprated/improved 8 speed SA hub complete at the moment although warranty repair uprated internals are already being delivered to stockist as we speak
              >
              > shedborn
              >

              > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Shedborn;
              > >
              > > Good to know. On the subject of another SA hub, why was the 7 speed discontinued? Did it have some design problems? The 8 speed does not seem to really replace it due to ratio choices used in the 8 speed. I note that Shimano and SRAM still offer 7 speed IGH units. In fact from some things I have read the 7 speed SRAM is apparently very common on bikes in Germany and Holland.
              > >
              > > Rich Wood
              > >

              > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "shedborn" <shedborn@> wrote:

              > > > I have built a few into wheels for customers and actually had no complaints, Shimano Nexus is not easy to get here Sturmey is, and with the new 5 wide ratio I think its onwards and upwards for sturmey.
              > > > It appears to me that Sturmey are really paying attention to wants and trends in the UK and seem to bending toward taking notice of input from the people using the equipment
              > > >
              > > > shedborn

            • shedborn
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                Sram is not very widely represented in the UK , none of my wholesalers offer any sram products, infact Shimano hub gear items are also very hard to get if your not in the cool gang.

                Cycle 2009 at Earls Court next week see whats there. If Trek are there I will ask if we are getting the Belville I have a feeling it will make Denmark, Germany , Holland but not good old Blighty.

                One interesting thing im building a lot of front hub dynamo wheels mixture between Novatec, SA and some Shimano, seem to be the new rock n roll over here at present.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Shedborn;

                  I wonder where this British site is getting their SRAM stuff, possibly doing their own importing from a continental distributor?

                  http://www.sbrsports.com/brand/SRAM?p=1

                  They seem to list quite a bit, far more than I have found for any source here in the USA.

                  Rich Wood

                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "shedborn" <shedborn@...> wrote:

                  > Sram is not very widely represented in the UK , none of my wholesalers offer any sram products, infact Shimano hub gear items are also very hard to get if your not in the cool gang.
                  >
                  > Cycle 2009 at Earls Court next week see whats there. If Trek are there I will ask if we are getting the Belville I have a feeling it will make Denmark, Germany , Holland but not good old Blighty.
                  >
                  > One interesting thing im building a lot of front hub dynamo wheels mixture between Novatec, SA and some Shimano, seem to be the new rock n roll over here at present.
                  >
                  > shedborn
                  >

                  > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Shedborn;
                  > >
                  > > As I recall the new SA 5 speed wide ratio hub has about the same range as the SRAM P5, about 250%. Also similar to the Shimano 7 speed overall range while the SRAM 7 speed overall range is similar to the Shimano 8 speed hubs but with less refined shifting.
                  > >
                  > > How is availability and cost of the SRAM hubs in GB? They could provide an alternative to SA and Shimano for some bike conversions. I do wish alternatives to the grip shifters were available for them though for drop bar use.
                  > >
                  > > Rich Wood
                  > >

                  > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "shedborn" <shedborn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Re the question regarding the 7 speed Sturmey, from my recent conversation with my stockist of SA I have a feeling the new 5 speed wide ratio will perhaps be the the bridge between 5 & 8 speed, I have yet to try it but reports back from those who have look very promising.
                  > > > Due to some of the minor technical issues with the SA 8 speed in the UK the 5 (W) has been suggested as a replacement and with it seems great success as there is no delivery date set for the uprated/improved 8 speed SA hub complete at the moment although warranty repair uprated internals are already being delivered to stockist as we speak
                  > > >
                  > > > shedborn

                • shedborn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                    Thats quite a selection, the only Sram I have seen in the UK is on production bike is a Yuba I have in the shop and thats a coaster Hub
                    Im pretty certain its continental import looks goiod though

                    shedborn

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                    > Shedborn;
                    >
                    > I wonder where this British site is getting their SRAM stuff, possibly doing their own importing from a continental distributor?
                    >
                    > http://www.sbrsports.com/brand/SRAM?p=1
                    >
                    > They seem to list quite a bit, far more than I have found for any source here in the USA.
                    >
                    > Rich Wood
                    >

                    > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "shedborn" <shedborn@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sram is not very widely represented in the UK , none of my wholesalers offer any sram products, infact Shimano hub gear items are also very hard to get if your not in the cool gang.
                    > >
                    > > Cycle 2009 at Earls Court next week see whats there. If Trek are there I will ask if we are getting the Belville I have a feeling it will make Denmark, Germany , Holland but not good old Blighty.
                    > >
                    > > One interesting thing im building a lot of front hub dynamo wheels mixture between Novatec, SA and some Shimano, seem to be the new rock n roll over here at present.
                    > >
                    > > shedborn
                    > >

                    > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Shedborn;
                    > > >
                    > > > As I recall the new SA 5 speed wide ratio hub has about the same range as the SRAM P5, about 250%. Also similar to the Shimano 7 speed overall range while the SRAM 7 speed overall range is similar to the Shimano 8 speed hubs but with less refined shifting.
                    > > >
                    > > > How is availability and cost of the SRAM hubs in GB? They could provide an alternative to SA and Shimano for some bike conversions. I do wish alternatives to the grip shifters were available for them though for drop bar use.
                    > > >
                    > > > Rich Wood

                  • Alan Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Although SRAM is a Chicago-based company, don't they now get a lot - if not most - of their stuff from Germany?

                      Alan Lloyd
                      Schaumburg, Illinois, U.S.A.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                        Alan;

                        IGH hubs are still made in Germany so far as know. Some of the shifters are made in China as the box one came in was so marked. The chains are made in Portugal per a SRAM chain box I checked. They also have a plant in Taiwan I believe. No idea where Rock Shox, Avid or Truvativ parts as well as their derailleurs and high end shifters are made.

                        Basically an international company with headquarters in Chicago but they build in a lot of locations.

                        Rich Wood

                        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alan Lloyd <adl2k@...> wrote:

                        > Although SRAM is a Chicago-based company, don't they now get a lot - if not most - of their stuff from Germany?
                        >
                        > Alan Lloyd
                        > Schaumburg, Illinois, U.S.A.

                      • prester_john_in_cathay
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                          Rich wrote in part:
                          > (SRAM) IGH hubs are still made in
                          > Germany so far as I know.

                          According to SRAM's advertising literature, all their IGHs are manufactured in Schweinfurt, Germany (northern Bavaria). Hub manufacturing operations there were started 114 years ago by Ernst Sachs and Karl Fichtel.

                          There is a short video illustrating production of the iM9 in their new Romstrasse facility on the SRAM web site.

                          PJ