Re: Nexus/Alfine Brifters in stock at universal cycles

  • astronut1001
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
      I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@...> wrote:

      > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32397
      >
      > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
      >
      > $224.00 before shipping
      >
      > Anyone have a set of these yet?
      >
      > -Rando

    • astronut1001
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
        ebikestop has them listed for $180.45. It looks like a good price but I have never bought from them. Anyone have experience with them?

        http://www.ebikestop.com/versa_vrs_8_drop_bar_alfine_shifterbrake_levers-LD0090.php

        or

        http://tinyurl.com/nhskfw

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.
        >
        > Rich Wood
        >

        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@> wrote:
        > >
        > > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32397
        > >
        > > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
        > >
        > > $224.00 before shipping
        > >
        > > Anyone have a set of these yet?
        > >
        > > -Rando

      • Jack Vincent
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
          I have tried them out and yes, the throw is long. They worked well and it has just a simple release button.

          Sent from Jack Vincent's Iphone

          On Sep 6, 2009, at 3:02 PM, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

          I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@ ...> wrote:

          > http://www.universa lcycles.com/ shopping/ product_details. php?id=32397
          >
          > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
          >
          > $224.00 before shipping
          >
          > Anyone have a set of these yet?
          >
          > -Rando

        • Jack Vincent
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
            I will send an up close pic of it later when I am at my computer.

            Sent from Jack Vincent's Iphone

            On Sep 6, 2009, at 3:02 PM, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@ ...> wrote:

            > http://www.universa lcycles.com/ shopping/ product_details. php?id=32397
            >
            > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
            >
            > $224.00 before shipping
            >
            > Anyone have a set of these yet?
            >
            > -Rando

          • Jack Vincent
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
            Two basic pics of the lever.  Not the best.