Nexus/Alfine Brifters in stock at universal cycles

  • pdxrandonneur
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
      http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32397

      "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."

      $224.00 before shipping

      Anyone have a set of these yet?

      -Rando
    • astronut1001
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
        I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@...> wrote:

        > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32397
        >
        > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
        >
        > $224.00 before shipping
        >
        > Anyone have a set of these yet?
        >
        > -Rando

      • astronut1001
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
          ebikestop has them listed for $180.45. It looks like a good price but I have never bought from them. Anyone have experience with them?

          http://www.ebikestop.com/versa_vrs_8_drop_bar_alfine_shifterbrake_levers-LD0090.php

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/nhskfw

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

          > I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.
          >
          > Rich Wood
          >

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32397
          > >
          > > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
          > >
          > > $224.00 before shipping
          > >
          > > Anyone have a set of these yet?
          > >
          > > -Rando

        • Jack Vincent
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
            I have tried them out and yes, the throw is long. They worked well and it has just a simple release button.

            Sent from Jack Vincent's Iphone

            On Sep 6, 2009, at 3:02 PM, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@ ...> wrote:

            > http://www.universa lcycles.com/ shopping/ product_details. php?id=32397
            >
            > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
            >
            > $224.00 before shipping
            >
            > Anyone have a set of these yet?
            >
            > -Rando

          • Jack Vincent
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
              I will send an up close pic of it later when I am at my computer.

              Sent from Jack Vincent's Iphone

              On Sep 6, 2009, at 3:02 PM, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

              I have only seen one post on BF by someone who claimed to have tried a bike with a set. He indicated that the shift throw was quite long compared to Shimano derailleur brifters. I too would like to hear from any other group member who has tried them out.

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@ ...> wrote:

              > http://www.universa lcycles.com/ shopping/ product_details. php?id=32397
              >
              > "The Versa VRS-8 Road shifter is an STI-style (Shimano Total Integration) shifter that integrates shifting and braking into a single lever that is mounted onto drop-style road handlebars. The shifter uses independent up/down shifters for smooth precise shifting at any time - while pedaling coasting, or even at a complete stop. The Versa lever set works exclusively with the Shimano Alfine 8 and Nexus 8 internal gear hubs, providing a wide range of gearing from a compact internal hub."
              >
              > $224.00 before shipping
              >
              > Anyone have a set of these yet?
              >
              > -Rando

            • Jack Vincent
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
              Two basic pics of the lever.  Not the best.