Nexus 7 Troubleshooting

  • johnbaldwin207
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
      I recently replaced the shift cable on my new (to me) Bianchi Milano equipped with an older Nexus 7 interhub with rollerbrake. After replacing the cable it seems as though the new cable likes to slip in front of the first guide plate outside the hub when shifting into higher gears. This makes returning to lower gears problematic as the cable hangs up on the guide plate in front rather than in back where it should be. I've done this on other bikes and know to leave 101mm between the pinch bolt and ferrule as per the Shimano manual available on the Harris Cyclery archives. I'm also able to near exactly line up the red hashings in the two subsequent guide plates when in "4". I've got the right amount of cable exposed and it reads correctly when in "4" but I'm definitely having issues getting the cable to consistently route correctly and actuate the hub properly. Reducing the amount of cable between the pinch bolt and ferrule seems to limit the effective gear range. Dialing the barrel adjuster out for more tension doesn't seem to do much, either.
      I'm thinking the housing is too rough inside and causes the cable to hang up, giving too much slack and causing it to misalign along the guide plates. Anyone have/ had similar issues with the cable semingly going where it wants to around the outside of a Nexus hub?
      Thanks in advance for any help.
      -John
    • astronut1001
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
        John;

        I have not seen anything like that yet.

        Checking visually does the cable run from the front arm on the casette joint that the cable housing seats in to the groove on the actuator pulley appear to be straight as the only thing I can think of is possibly the arm got bent to one side somehow while you were changing the cable. Did you remove the casette joint from the hub during the cable change?

        You might try replacing the complete casette joint, as they are relatively inexpensive, to see if that is the problem.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaldwin207" <johnbaldwin207@...> wrote:

        > I recently replaced the shift cable on my new (to me) Bianchi Milano equipped with an older Nexus 7 interhub with rollerbrake. After replacing the cable it seems as though the new cable likes to slip in front of the first guide plate outside the hub when shifting into higher gears. This makes returning to lower gears problematic as the cable hangs up on the guide plate in front rather than in back where it should be. I've done this on other bikes and know to leave 101mm between the pinch bolt and ferrule as per the Shimano manual available on the Harris Cyclery archives. I'm also able to near exactly line up the red hashings in the two subsequent guide plates when in "4". I've got the right amount of cable exposed and it reads correctly when in "4" but I'm definitely having issues getting the cable to consistently route correctly and actuate the hub properly. Reducing the amount of cable between the pinch bolt and ferrule seems to limit the effective gear range. Dialing the barrel adjuster out for more tension doesn't seem to do much, either.
        > I'm thinking the housing is too rough inside and causes the cable to hang up, giving too much slack and causing it to misalign along the guide plates. Anyone have/ had similar issues with the cable semingly going where it wants to around the outside of a Nexus hub?
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        > -John

      • pdxrandonneur
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaldwin207" <johnbaldwin207@...> wrote:

          > I recently replaced the shift cable on my new (to me) Bianchi Milano equipped with an older Nexus 7 interhub with rollerbrake. After replacing the cable it seems as though the new cable likes to slip in front of the first guide plate outside the hub when shifting into higher gears. This makes returning to lower gears problematic as the cable hangs up on the guide plate in front rather than in back where it should be. I've done this on other bikes and know to leave 101mm between the pinch bolt and ferrule as per the Shimano manual available on the Harris Cyclery archives. I'm also able to near exactly line up the red hashings in the two subsequent guide plates when in "4". I've got the right amount of cable exposed and it reads correctly when in "4" but I'm definitely having issues getting the cable to consistently route correctly and actuate the hub properly. Reducing the amount of cable between the pinch bolt and ferrule seems to limit the effective gear range. Dialing the barrel adjuster out for more tension doesn't seem to do much, either.
          > I'm thinking the housing is too rough inside and causes the cable to hang up, giving too much slack and causing it to misalign along the guide plates. Anyone have/ had similar issues with the cable semingly going where it wants to around the outside of a Nexus hub?

          Assuming that it was shifting correctly before you replaced the cable, the only thing I can think of without seeing the bike is that
          you have the "cable fixing bolt unit" reversed.

          -Rando
        • astronut1001
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
            Rando;

            I had not thought of that. It certainly puts the cable line off the correct position. However unless the back end of the cable is cut off practically flush with the cable fixing bolt unit it is very difficult to install it backwards. I tried it with a CJ-8S40 casette joint off of the bike. Either way worth checking.

            The fixing bolt should be installed in the casette joint with the black color hex nut oriented outward away from the hub body, at least on the 8 speed hub casette joints.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@...> wrote:

            > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaldwin207" <johnbaldwin207@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I recently replaced the shift cable on my new (to me) Bianchi Milano equipped with an older Nexus 7 interhub with rollerbrake. After replacing the cable it seems as though the new cable likes to slip in front of the first guide plate outside the hub when shifting into higher gears. This makes returning to lower gears problematic as the cable hangs up on the guide plate in front rather than in back where it should be. I've done this on other bikes and know to leave 101mm between the pinch bolt and ferrule as per the Shimano manual available on the Harris Cyclery archives. I'm also able to near exactly line up the red hashings in the two subsequent guide plates when in "4". I've got the right amount of cable exposed and it reads correctly when in "4" but I'm definitely having issues getting the cable to consistently route correctly and actuate the hub properly. Reducing the amount of cable between the pinch bolt and ferrule seems to limit the effective gear range. Dialing the barrel adjuster out for more tension doesn't seem to do much, either.
            > > I'm thinking the housing is too rough inside and causes the cable to hang up, giving too much slack and causing it to misalign along the guide plates. Anyone have/ had similar issues with the cable semingly going where it wants to around the outside of a Nexus hub?
            >
            > Assuming that it was shifting correctly before you replaced the cable, the only thing I can think of without seeing the bike is that
            > you have the "cable fixing bolt unit" reversed.
            >
            > -Rando

          • Jack Vincent
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
              Use the CJ-NX10. The 8s40 is not going to work with the 7 speed

              Sent from Jack Vincent's Iphone

              On Sep 6, 2009, at 11:59 AM, "astronut1001" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

              Rando;

              I had not thought of that. It certainly puts the cable line off the correct position. However unless the back end of the cable is cut off practically flush with the cable fixing bolt unit it is very difficult to install it backwards. I tried it with a CJ-8S40 casette joint off of the bike. Either way worth checking.

              The fixing bolt should be installed in the casette joint with the black color hex nut oriented outward away from the hub body, at least on the 8 speed hub casette joints.

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@ ...> wrote:

              > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "johnbaldwin207" <johnbaldwin207@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > I recently replaced the shift cable on my new (to me) Bianchi Milano equipped with an older Nexus 7 interhub with rollerbrake. After replacing the cable it seems as though the new cable likes to slip in front of the first guide plate outside the hub when shifting into higher gears. This makes returning to lower gears problematic as the cable hangs up on the guide plate in front rather than in back where it should be. I've done this on other bikes and know to leave 101mm between the pinch bolt and ferrule as per the Shimano manual available on the Harris Cyclery archives. I'm also able to near exactly line up the red hashings in the two subsequent guide plates when in "4". I've got the right amount of cable exposed and it reads correctly when in "4" but I'm definitely having issues getting the cable to consistently route correctly and actuate the hub properly. Reducing the amount of cable between the pinch bolt and ferrule seems to limit the effective gear range. Dialing the barrel adjuster out for more tension doesn't seem to do much, either.
              > > I'm thinking the housing is too rough inside and causes the cable to hang up, giving too much slack and causing it to misalign along the guide plates. Anyone have/ had similar issues with the cable semingly going where it wants to around the outside of a Nexus hub?
              >
              > Assuming that it was shifting correctly before you replaced the cable, the only thing I can think of without seeing the bike is that
              > you have the "cable fixing bolt unit" reversed.
              >
              > -Rando

            • John Baldwin
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2009
                All helpful suggestions, thanks.  Still troubleshooting.  I've never messed with the cassette join and nothing appears bent or otherwise out of wack.  Cable fixing bolt unit has not been reversed but good thought.  It shifted more or less fine before I replaced the frayed cable (seems that the cable end got too close to the chain/ cog and I suspected that it would [and maybe did] unravel past the pinch bolt).  As the fraying intensified the shifting and ability to hold a gear became severely impaired so I decided to swap out the cable for a new one.  With the new cable there have been some problems with routing but it does, however, seem to be shifting better now - at least in the stand.
                Will try new housing and will triple check my manual for correct routing strategy.
                Thanks again for the help.