IGH Operation, was Fw: Re: File - Member Welcome

  • astronut1001
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
      From Sheldon Brown's web site:

      The four- and five-speed versions have two sun gears, which can slide back and forth, so that one of them is locked to the axle, while the other freewheels. The planet gears are stepped gears, with different numbers of teeth at each end. The large end of the planet gears engages the small sun gear, and the small end of the planet gears engages the large sun gear and the gear ring.
      Depending on which sun gear is locked to the axle, these hubs are, effectively 3-speeds with a choice of wide or narrow range.

      Per the SRAM parts manual this is also how the SRAM 5 speed hub appears to work judging from parts drawings. The 7 speed is the same except that it uses 3 step planet gears and 3 sun gears that can each be locked to the axle via the control shaft.

      Rich Wood