Re: 2010 Cannondale 3-speed

  • astronut1001
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
      PJ;

      Interesting bike but IMO they have overpriced it. The MSRP is $330 more than for the 8 speed derailleur version. $649 versus $979. More dollars for fewer gears has not worked well in the American market historically even though overall the IGH version does have better components and tires too.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      > Announced for the 2010 US market, the Hooligan:
      >
      > <http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/10/cusa/model-0HL3.html>
      >
      > Brave move; there aren't a lot of mini-velo bikes on the American market. This bike spec's the disc version of the SRAM iM3 hub.
      >
      > PJ

    • prester_john_in_cathay
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
        Rich wrote in part:
        > Interesting bike but IMO they have overpriced it.

        I'd be inclided to agree - that is, if I'd never seen that $1475 Civia Hyland with the same hub! :)

        PJ
      • irn_bru_ce
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
          i have had the euro hooligan 1 for over a year now , very fast machine for tight urban riding, bit twitchy for longer rides , and not as light as you might expect

          but the 20" wheels mean that the bottom 3 gears are useless , i have just bought a set of 144bcd cranks and a 55t chainring to help me use more of the alfine range

          i am also in the process of trying to modify an old deore shifter becasue i find the lack of multiple upshifts annoying , the hooligan prefers you to stand up and wrestle the bike away from standing starts , the mass is so centralised and cranks so low you can throw it about about very easily , i just dont like the long pause between spinning out of 3rd or 4th gear , and grabbing 3 shifts and doing the same again

          http://www.saxosportsclub.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=47700/highlight=hooligan.html
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
            To me the inability to do multiple shifts with one lever operation is the biggest disadvantage of the Shimano IGH Rapidfire shifters. Alternatives are the Shimano twist shifter or the Jtek bar end shifter. Both allow multiple shifts with one continuous movement.

            Good luck with the attempted conversion. If you check the Files area there is an article with information on cable pulls for some IGH units along with cable pull information for derailleur indexed shifters. The non linearity of the derailleur shifters appears to be the biggest problem with trying to make them work with an IGH satisfactorily even with the use of a cable pull changer such as a Jtek Shiftmate.

            Rich Wood

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
              > but the 20" wheels mean that the
              > bottom 3 gears are useless

              The Nexus/Alfine 8-speed is problematic to use with small wheel bikes because 5th is 1:1 and the hubs will accept cogs no smaller than 16T. I've read a number of posts around the 'net of riders buying new cranks and relatively expensive large tooth count chainwheels to correct the too-low factory gear range, just as you are doing.

              I'd love to chat with the product planners and ask why they're spec'ing the Shimano 8 for small wheel models instead of, oh, say, the SRAM S7.

              PJ
            • wahooncx
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
                ~snip~

                > I'd love to chat with the product planners and ask why they're spec'ing the Shimano 8 for small wheel models instead of, oh, say, the SRAM S7.
                >
                > PJ

                I can think of several reasons; Cost, serviceability, availability and in Sturmey Archer's case reliability and availability.

                It takes a year plus from the end of design stage to retail market. Shimano is the 900# gorilla in the current IGH market. In the EU and Asian markets they have an amazing amount of hubs available, not much is making it to the US market, unfortunately.

                I also suspect that in many cases the bean counters may be choosing the hubs rather than the engineers, trying to reach a certain price point.

                Aaron
              • prester_john_in_cathay
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
                  >> I'd love to chat with the product
                  >> planners and ask why they're spec'ing
                  >> the Shimano 8 for small wheel models
                  >> instead of, oh, say, the SRAM S7.

                  > I can think of several reasons; Cost,
                  > serviceability, availability...

                  Yes, well, of course, a Spectra 7 is less expensive and easier to service than a Nexus 8.

                  > Shimano is the 900# gorilla in the current IGH market.

                  I'm not in the industry, but I've read that actually SRAM (nee Sachs)controls the majority of the world IGH market.

                  My theory is Shimano N.A. is just out hussling SRAM and Sturmey (well, that wouldn't be hard!) for the OEM IGH market in America. The result is bikes like the BikeFriday Season Tikit with its 76" top gear.

                  PJ
                • irn_bru_ce
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                    dismantled the old 9 speed deore mtb shifter and glued a strip of plastic over the cable guide to increase the diameter , i measured the cable pull as standard , then scaled it up to get 38mm cable pull as needed for the alfine , but once i had it back together and tested it turned out to be 34mm pull , i think i would also be better to start with an 8 speed shifter , but it was a good practice as those shifters are very fiddly , especially if you dismantle it in a hurry then try and put it back together 3 days later