Cannondale shows their "On" concept @ Eurobike (again)

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
      I don't know if they just don't have anything else to show, or if they're still trying to decide if they can make money with this, but Cannondale has returned to the show circuit with their On concept.

      If you missed it the first time around, it's really a very unique, one-of-a-kind IGH bike. The frame has no chain- or seat-stays, and the back wheel is attached to a structural chaincase machined out of aluminum billet. The special single sided SRAM iM9 hub also has the disc brake moved to the drive side.

      A picture's worth a thousand words:

      <http://road.cc/content/news/7053-first-look-cannondale-no-chainstay-bike-super-light-urban-concept>

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/nuehfo

      PJ

      PS - You can see the caliper and mounts, but it looks like the bike doesn't have the rear disc installed.
    • Trina Brady
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009

        one fork blade one chainstay no seat stays and no pedals  WOW  talk about cutbacks.  and all that nothing goes for how much?   LOL

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
          What I don't understand is why you'd go to that length to create abstract beauty, but you still leave cable housing dangling all over the place.  Why not incorporate cable runs into the aesthetic of the bike, via highly-efficient pulleys or other approaches??

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2009
            Bob wrote in part:

            > What I don't understand is why you'd go
            > to that length to create abstract beauty,
            > but you still leave cable housing dangling
            > all over the place.

            We talkin' about the same bike, Bob? The Cannondale On concept bike pictured in the link I posted has the rear brake and shift cables come off their controls on the bar and disappear into the frame tubing just aft of the headset, hardly to be seen again. They appear to have enough slack to allow the bars to turn and not much more. The front brake cable drops down from the lever to the disc past a front suspension (so there has to be a little slack) with what looks like some three tidy guide points.

            PJ