Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Shimano? 7spd parts

  • Trina Brady
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009

      thanks Rando.   I'll have to try and see the bike.   the instructions look just like my Nexus8 I just got.

      Trina

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
        Here is the below link as a tiny URL, unbroken by our Yahoo friends.

        http://tinyurl.com/mmdv3w

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pdxrandonneur" <pdxrandonneur@...> wrote:

        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bianchigirll" <bianchigirll@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello Everyone.
        > >
        > > let me start by saying I have not seen this bike. I know I know it belongs to some one at work. he told me it was a shimano 7spd but looking over this shimano product site I found I do not se what he is talking aboot.
        > >
        > > the bike is a Cannondale 50/50 he bought used (I think from overseas). when he assembled it apparently the 'operating rod' (like on a three speed) that goes in the axle is bent and will not work.
        > >
        > > does anyone know about this or have shimano instructions I can look at? parts source?
        >
        > The shimano 7 speed does not have a rod that goes into the hub, as far as I know the only shimano gear hubs that do are the 3 speeds. According to bikepedia the 50/50 came with the nexus 8 speed, which does not have a push rod either. Here is the spec sheet for the 7 speed anyway:
        >
        > http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0022-downloadFile.html/16)%20Inter%207%20ohaul.pdf
        >
        > -Rando

      • astronut1001
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
          Trina;

          If it is a 7 or 8 speed Shimano hub then most likely the damaged part is likely to be the "Casette Joint". This is the mechanism that the shift cable attaches to and is readily removable from the hub and replaceable as long as it is the only thing wrong. Depending on source bought at it should be in the under $20 range.

          If it is just the forward facing arm part of the casette joint that the cable housing seats in that is bent it might even be able to be unbent.

          Rich Wood