Chain Drive Efficiency

  • astronut1001
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2009
      I just ran across the link to this IHPVA article on chain drive efficiency. I have not yet read it but it looks interesting, if mathematical in content. The article is a collaboration between Shimano and John Hopkins University people.

      http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp50-2000.pdf
    • astronut1001
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2009
        An interesting article. Lab results indicate that worst case a derailleur chain drive system can be in the 81% efficiency range. This is lower than I expected. This is at low torque and power input levels, probably below real world levels for most enthusiast bicyclists.

        Rich Wood