Cheap Bike Lights

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2008
      For those who only occasionally need a bike headlight
      Batteryjunction.com lists Twofish flashlight to bike handlebar
      adapter/holders at very reasonable prices currently, about half off
      claimed MSRP at under $8 for either version. One web site I found
      wanted $72 for the same thing, a total ripoff. Two versions are
      listed. One is designed for AA flashlights and the other for ones
      that take C size cells per the batteryjunction web site.

      I just received the 3AA LED Mini Maglite and it is very bright for
      it's price. I found it for under $20 on Amazon with batteries and a
      carrying holster. Puts out lots of light compared to anything I
      have seen in it's price range and the beam is adjustable. I will
      give it a try on a bike once I receive the Twofish mount to hold
      it. I would estimate output to be in the 80 lumens range, maybe a
      bit more.

      Beam focusing does not put a central hole in the light pattern at
      reasonable focus adjustments as the Incandescent Maglites and mini
      maglites do. It uses a LED specific reflector that is IMO much
      better than the reflectors on regular Maglites and Mini Maglites.

      Remember that LED lights should have a long life and are not subject
      to lamp failure from vibration or similar causes as are incandescent
      lamps. Solid state devices such as LEDs typically fail very quickly
      or last for thousands of hours.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        Per a review I found light output of the 3AA Mini Maglight is
        approximately 60 lumens. This is considerably more than the figures
        I have seen for comparably priced bike headlights.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"