Now I got my new bike

  • John Swatzell
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
      Hey Folks. I joined this group to learn about the possibility of mounting an IGH on my single speed cruiser. While searching around I ran across the Schwinn Classic Deluxe 7 with the Nexus 7 speed IGH. I really liked the styling and the hub so began searching around for pricing and availability. Found it in Michigan at a great price but would have had to do an 800 mile drive one way to get it. Checked with local Schwinn dealers and finally found one in Chattanooga who would work with me on the price and got it ordered. Picked it up last weekend and what a great bike. I love the styling and the hub shifts unbelievably smooth. Scott Wilhoit the owner of Cycle Works in Chattanooga was great to work with and handled a couple of minor problems easily. I'm tickled to death with my bike and glad to have an LBS that is easy to work with. Now all I gotta do is get out and start peddling. Thanks for all your advice from the list and I will let you know how things work out for me and my new ride.

      Buzzard
    • palatine_ej
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
        > Hey Folks. I joined this group to learn about the possibility of mounting an IGH on my single speed cruiser....I will let you know how things work out for me and my new ride.

        Welcome to the IGH zone! If you can, please post some pictures,
        Eric
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
          John, or Buzzard if you prefer;

          From the Schwinn web site it definitely looks like a 1950s deluxe Schwinn cruiser bike, including the springer fork. As they do not say I presume that it is a steel frame. No weight listed either but if steel my guess would be in the 45 pound + range. It does list aluminum rims as used which are a bit lighter than the old steel ones.

          As it only has a coaster brake apparently let us know how well it works. Also please be careful as with the 7 speed hub I suspect that you can get it up to higher speeds than you ever did with your old single speed cruiser.

          Reading the reviews on the Schwinn web site I note that apparently the version sold there does have a front V brake but I do not see how one could be mounted on the American version's front fork. If you find you want more braking it looks to me like the front wheel could be rebuilt or replaced with one using a Shimano roller brake or a Sturmey Archer drum brake.

          For members who are interested here is the Schwinn web page showing the bike.

          http://tinyurl.com/d654uj

          Rich Wood

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2009
            Whoops!

            In the third paragraph where I said "there" it should have read Japan. I have added the correction in parenthesis below.

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            > John, or Buzzard if you prefer;
            >
            > From the Schwinn web site it definitely looks like a 1950s deluxe Schwinn cruiser bike, including the springer fork. As they do not say I presume that it is a steel frame. No weight listed either but if steel my guess would be in the 45 pound + range. It does list aluminum rims as used which are a bit lighter than the old steel ones.
            >
            > As it only has a coaster brake apparently let us know how well it works. Also please be careful as with the 7 speed hub I suspect that you can get it up to higher speeds than you ever did with your old single speed cruiser.
            >
            > Reading the reviews on the Schwinn web site I note that apparently the version sold there (in Japan) does have a front V brake but I do not see how one could be mounted on the American version's front fork. If you find you want more braking it looks to me like the front wheel could be rebuilt or replaced with one using a Shimano roller brake or a Sturmey Archer drum brake.
            >
            > For members who are interested here is the Schwinn web page showing the bike.
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/d654uj
            >
            > Rich Wood
            >

            > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "John Swatzell" <jswatzell@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Folks. I joined this group to learn about the possibility of mounting an IGH on my single speed cruiser. While searching around I ran across the Schwinn Classic Deluxe 7 with the Nexus 7 speed IGH. I really liked the styling and the hub so began searching around for pricing and availability. Found it in Michigan at a great price but would have had to do an 800 mile drive one way to get it. Checked with local Schwinn dealers and finally found one in Chattanooga who would work with me on the price and got it ordered. Picked it up last weekend and what a great bike. I love the styling and the hub shifts unbelievably smooth. Scott Wilhoit the owner of Cycle Works in Chattanooga was great to work with and handled a couple of minor problems easily. I'm tickled to death with my bike and glad to have an LBS that is easy to work with. Now all I gotta do is get out and start peddling. Thanks for all your advice from the list and I will let you know how things work out for me and my new ride.
            > >
            > > Buzzard

          • jswatzell tds.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2009
              Hey Rich, you are on the money as far  as weight goes. I haven't weighed it but 45 lbs is probably pretty close. Even my dealer commented on the weight and how he really didn't know why they were charging so much for it  (I didn't pay msrp on it. He cut me a great deal) as, other than the 7 speed hub, there really wasn't anything super special about it. But I'm guessing they figured there are enough of us old fat guys around who remember the bikes we grew up on or in my case always wanted, to market it as a retro styled bike with the 7 speed upgrade. In fact I have an old schwinn I'm trying to build up along with a JC Higgins and a Rollfast. But I needed the lower gears for pulling hills more than higher gears for speed. And I fell for the styling and paint. I got the two tone green. Will be posting pics maybe in a week or so. We are going camping this weekend in Cades Cove. For those of you who don't know where that is, it's in the Great Smoky Mountains of east Tenn. It's a bike friendly place with an 11 mile loop and plenty of riding around the campground. Only problem is the loop is also open to cars except until 10:00 am on Saturdays and Wednesdays. It's also pretty rough but they are planning to pave it next spring.
              I will definitely watch the coaster brake. I kinda like your idea of the drum brake. Will see how it works out and maybe try the upgrade before too long.

              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2009
                I understand that some of the original balloon tire cruisers from the 1930s to 1950s weighed from 50 to 70 pounds fully accessorized. No wonder they were virtually indestructable.

                Compare that to now when carbon fiber racing bikes are routinely built enough below the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8 Kg or 14.96 pounds that teams add things like Powertap hubs to bring them up to minimum legal weight.

                Be interesting to see how light a Rohloff or Alfine hub CF road bike it would be possible to build if someone really tried.

                Rich Wood