Re: Alfine hub breaking-in period?

  • dcoffey01
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
      Good to know - I have never had an IGH before so this behaviour was new to me. Since I mail-ordered the complete wheel, I wanted to make sure I didn't have a lemon or a "friday hub" before it was too late to send it back.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > There is a break in period but a geared hub will never be as low resistance to wheel spinning as a derailleur rear wheel due to the amount and size of the internal parts and the relatively large diameter wheel bearings compared to those found on a derailleur freehub. The grease may contribute to the effect too.
    • palatine_ej
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
        >If I lift the rear of the bike and give the pedal a little kick, the wheel rotates for a turn or so then comes to a distinct stop. It does this even with the brakes and chain off, so the resistance is in the hub itself....

        Only a single rotation when the rear wheel is going >10mph?
      • Jack Vincent
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
          That sounds a bit tight.  With the newer seals you may need a little break-in but sounds like maybe either non-drive side cone too tight or the axle nuts may be too tight.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
            Good news folks - after a good ride this weekend the Alfine has settled in nicely. With the same spin of the wheel, I get a good couple of rotations before it slows more gradually to a stop. The shifting is still great so I assume it was just initial stiffness.