Re: Alfine hub breaking-in period?

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
      There is a break in period but a geared hub will never be as low resistance to wheel spinning as a derailleur rear wheel due to the amount and size of the internal parts and the relatively large diameter wheel bearings compared to those found on a derailleur freehub. The grease may contribute to the effect too. It better not move out of the way entirely as then there would be no lubrication on moving parts. That is why IGH greases are relatively fluid compared to most so they can flow back into areas needing lubrication if displaced.

      Remember that in a freehub wheel, rotating in the freewheeling direction, the only drag items are the wheel bearings and freewheel pawls. I am not sure this is true for an IGH.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "dcoffey01" <dcoffey01@...> wrote:

      > Do brand-new Alfine hubs have a breaking-in period where they are a little stiff to rotate?
      >
      > My new SG-S501 has resistance to rotating now it is on the bike. The resistance is smooth and completely even throughout the turn of the wheel - there are no loose spots and tight spots that would indicate a bent axle. If I lift the rear of the bike and give the pedal a little kick, the wheel rotates for a turn or so then comes to a distinct stop. It does this even with the brakes and chain off, so the resistance is in the hub itself.
      >
      > Shifting is perfect, quiet and smooth, cycling on it is great and the resistance is slight so that there is no appreciable effect when ridden. The cabling is good and the alignment marks are perfectly set up.
      >
      > I was wondering if it was merely moving excess grease out of the way inside the hub?

    • dcoffey01
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
        Good to know - I have never had an IGH before so this behaviour was new to me. Since I mail-ordered the complete wheel, I wanted to make sure I didn't have a lemon or a "friday hub" before it was too late to send it back.

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > There is a break in period but a geared hub will never be as low resistance to wheel spinning as a derailleur rear wheel due to the amount and size of the internal parts and the relatively large diameter wheel bearings compared to those found on a derailleur freehub. The grease may contribute to the effect too.
      • palatine_ej
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
          >If I lift the rear of the bike and give the pedal a little kick, the wheel rotates for a turn or so then comes to a distinct stop. It does this even with the brakes and chain off, so the resistance is in the hub itself....

          Only a single rotation when the rear wheel is going >10mph?
        • Jack Vincent
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
            That sounds a bit tight.  With the newer seals you may need a little break-in but sounds like maybe either non-drive side cone too tight or the axle nuts may be too tight.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
              Good news folks - after a good ride this weekend the Alfine has settled in nicely. With the same spin of the wheel, I get a good couple of rotations before it slows more gradually to a stop. The shifting is still great so I assume it was just initial stiffness.