Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Sources for hubs, and getting the shifters onto drop bars?

  • Jack Vincent
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
    The road shift lever that Dynamic is using is called the Versa Road Shifter.  I have been able to test it and it does work but the throw to upshift is very long.  Not easy for those with smaller hands.  The downshift is a nice small button just behind it that works well. Here is a pic.

    Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
      I've read about people using a Travel Agent, by Problem Solvers, to get various rear derailleur shifters to work with internally geared hubs, but I'm sure of exactly how it's done.

      Jonathan

      Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
        Jonathan;

        I have read about it too but per both data in Frank Berto's book "Upgrading Your Bike", and measurements of indexed deraillieur cable travel per click available in the Files area, derailleur indexed shifters are not linear. They pull considerably more cable per click at the ends of the cable travel than in the middle area.

        All IGHs I am aware of, except some 3 speeds, need linear pull per click. Even if you can get it to work this means that some shifts on the IGH are not going to be centered at the correct point if using a derailleur indexed shifter. Per my understanding this risks damage to the hub on many IGH hubs.

        The correct design for a travel agent to do so would require a eccenric pulley, properly indexed, to linearize the shifters non linear cable pull.

        Rich Wood

        Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
          Here is the link to the cable pull article:

          http://tinyurl.com/nf9zsg

          If it does not work then go to the Files area and look at the file "Gear Hub Cable Pull Info"

          Info on other gear hubs would be welcome to add to this.

          Rich Wood