Re: New bike arrived today!!

  • A & T
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009
      So I have been on a few rides now. I am still very happy with the purchase. I am still trying to get used to the handling. I have never had 700 wheels before.

      Today I rode through a nice park with packed trails and the bike was perfect. I now have 15 miles on it and have only made a few minor adjustments. My plan is to put 20 miles a week on it for fitness purposes.

      I love the hub and am glad I waited to get the bike.

      Anyone have any suggestions for fenders?

      Thanks, Tom
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009
        Tom;

        Let us know how well the wheels hold up as far as staying true.

        As for fenders do you want metal or plastic ones? Both Velo Orange and Wallingford Bicycle Parts have good selections of metal ones while any good LBS should have the plastic ones.

        http://www.velo-orange.com/fenders.html

        http://www.wallbike.com/fenders.html

        In addition to both metal and plastic fenders Peter White Cycles has a good article about them.

        http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp

        What an LBS carries is probably a lot less expensive but may not last as well.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "A & T" <atgep@...> wrote:

        > So I have been on a few rides now. I am still very happy with the purchase. I am still trying to get used to the handling. I have never had 700 wheels before.
        >
        > Today I rode through a nice park with packed trails and the bike was perfect. I now have 15 miles on it and have only made a few minor adjustments. My plan is to put 20 miles a week on it for fitness purposes.
        >
        > I love the hub and am glad I waited to get the bike.
        >
        > Anyone have any suggestions for fenders?
        >
        > Thanks, Tom

      • palatine_ej
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009
          > Anyone have any suggestions for fenders?

          My favorite fenders are Planet Bike Cascadia with the super long lower flaps. Comes in several widths. Keeps my feets dry when it's really pouring!

          http://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html
        • A & T
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009
            So a few more miles today a few more observations. Riding in the hood, park trails, and the golfcart paths at the local course when they are closed, is this bike's forte.
            The tires do not like softer sand but the bike slows so fast, you know right away.
            The chain has loosened up a bit with about 25 miles logged. The shifter, brakes, and wheels remain adjustment free. I like the saddle and geometry. I am not too thrilled with the handlebars and wish they had a little more bend towards the back as the straighter bars pinch my wrist.
            I am not too convinced about the pedals. They still seem to have friction in the bearings which may be a result of the dynamo installed inside them. If they dont break in, I will look to replace them. The wheel and crank bearings have started to break in and friction seems to be low. The hub gets better every time I ride it.

            I am overall very happy and feel it is exactly what i wanted for half what I was expecting to pay.
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009
              Bars are a very personal and individual choice, as are pedals. Easy enough to change either one to something more to your liking.

              Does the frame have enough clearance to allow larger tires if you want to increase the size, and still leave room for fenders? Even MTBs show a lot more rolling resistance in soft ground so I am not surprised at your noting it with your bike.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                The frame looks to be a fairly generic one that has plenty of room for wider tires. I am not sure how much wider the rims would support though. All trade offs I know.

                I have not ridden much in over 20 yrs and am really enjoying getting back on the bike.

                Tom
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Tom;

                  If you have a caliper or other means measure the external width of a rim. The inside width will normally be 5 to 6mm less. Or remove a tire and measure the inside width directly.

                  Here is a chart of rim width versus recommended tire widths from Sheldon brown. Scroll down the article to see the chart. It follows ISO recommendations. Schwalbe's web site has a similar one. Generally tire width should be in the range of 1.4x to 2.0x rim inside width per ISO.

                  http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

                  Note that many people fit wider than recommended tires for a given rim width w/o problems. In fact my Swobo came factory fitted with tires that were slightly wider than recommended for the rims.

                  Rich Wood

                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "A & T" <atgep@...> wrote:

                  > The frame looks to be a fairly generic one that has plenty of room for wider tires. I am not sure how much wider the rims would support though. All trade offs I know.
                  >
                  > I have not ridden much in over 20 yrs and am really enjoying getting back on the bike.
                  >
                  > Tom

                • palatine_ej
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                    > Here is a chart of rim width versus recommended tire widths from Sheldon brown.

                    I found the rim on the Alex website. It's 17mm inside, 22.8mm outside. The Sheldon website is nice, I do violate it all the time, esp with my MTB. IMHO, it's a little too conservative on how wide a tire you can run on a given rim.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                      IIRC a lot of the older Trek MTBs from the 93-94 era violated it by fitting far wider tires than ISO recommended for their rim widths. Apparently a matter of saving weight on some of their higher end MTBs.

                      Per Sheldon and some other authorities I have read going too far does not provide proper tire side support so the tire can feel squirrely.

                      Rich Wood

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                        Your measurements are spot-on. I dug the caliper out today and the rim Outside width measures 23mm. The Tire measures 37mm which is right on the high side for sheldons recommendations. There is room for a 46mm tire and there is 20mm of space above the tire. I plan on adding fenders soon and will just rack up miles for the time being.