Sturmey @ Interbike 2009

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29 5:47 PM
      Sturmey is planning to exhibit some new stuff @ Interbike on custom frames this year:

      http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com/2009/07/interbike-2009.html

      Looking forward to seeing the completed bikes.

      PJ
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29 6:24 PM
        PJ;

        Heard or seen anything new regarding the availability of the S3X hub. It is now at least 3 months late, more based on the originally announced availability goal date.

        This much delay makes me suspect that they have run into some major design or materials choice related problems.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

        > Sturmey is planning to exhibit some new stuff @ Interbike on custom frames this year:
        >
        > http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com/2009/07/interbike-2009.html
        >
        > Looking forward to seeing the completed bikes.
        >
        > PJ

      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30 5:29 AM
          Rich wrote in part:

          > Heard or seen anything new regarding the availability of the S3X hub?

          Narry a word beyond this announcement that it would be on display @ Interbike.

          I still can't believe SunRace's lawyers signed off on the S3X product.

          Other MIA hubs: Rolhoff's "lightweight" model and the SRAM Torpedo fixed/free.

          Best,
          PJ
        • sinutt02
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30 6:40 AM
            I too would like to know what is going on with the S3X hub. I have plans
            of building up a winter wheelset for my Steamroller using a S3X hub in
            rear and a generator hub in the front.
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30 10:54 AM
              PJ;

              Rohloff said up front that development on the compact version of their hub would take time. As I recall the original announcement was that they were starting design and development of it. IMO a poor announcement technique for a company as doing the same basic thing was what put Osborne Computers out of business. Everyone stopped buying the old computers while waiting for the new ones.

              The Swobo Crosby is listed as in stock with the SRAM Torpedo fixed/free hub. Here is a link to it.

              http://www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_b.php?cPath=201_1472

              Based on my emails with SRAM you will not see it available as a hub only unless/until a distributor orders a batch from SRAM due to their "build to orders only" stated production method.

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

              > Rich wrote in part:
              >
              > > Heard or seen anything new regarding the availability of the S3X hub?
              >
              > Narry a word beyond this announcement that it would be on display @ Interbike.
              >
              > I still can't believe SunRace's lawyers signed off on the S3X product.
              >
              > Other MIA hubs: Rolhoff's "lightweight" model and the SRAM Torpedo fixed/free.
              >
              > Best,
              > PJ

            • sinutt02
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30 11:20 AM
                That Crosby looks like a very promising frameset. I like the disc/canti option for brakes. I don't see the big allure to the Torpedo hub though. If I have to stop and get tools out, a simple flip/flop hub makes more sense. Now if you could shift it on the fly, that make make it worth the extra weight and expense. Oh well, I will never know since you have to buy the complete bike to get one.