Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Hi from new member and cabling question

  • Bob Power
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2009
      As Rich noted, you can run bare cable all the way onto the hub.  No housing.  With a Cross-check frame, however, you might experience interference between a wide tire and the bare cable.  One solution might be to move the cable guide (under the bottom bracket) over to the side a bit, by drilling a new hole in the little plastic guide.

      Back at the hub, my setup just ignores the "arm" that is part of the cassette joint.  The cable comes onto the hub at a slight angle, but there's a bump there that puts the cable into the correct track.  Works great.  Another solution might be to just use an inch or two of housing right at the "arm" and maybe keep it in place with a touch of Shoe-goo or tape.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2009
        Daniel;

        I see that you asked on Bike Forums about a photo of the shift cable run for the Afine hub on the Crosscheck. Not sure that a member with such an installation will even see the post.

        Once you have the wheel in hand install it in the frame with the correct length chain and it should be obvious how the final run of housing needs to run from the final cable stop to the hub casette joint. Do make sure that you have the proper set of anti-rotation washers installed on the hub so that the casette joint cable housing stop is approximately parallel to the chainstays.

        Make sure that a ferrule is installed on the end of the housing that fits in the end of the casette joint. Route the housing from the casette joint to the final cable stop on the frame in as straight a path as possible and cut it to the required length. Then install the cable from the shifter to the hub, through the housing, and adjust the cable length per the Shimano documentation.

        If you are at all familiar with working on bikes, and have the correct tools, it is an easy job and it should be obvious how the final section of housing needs to be fitted.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > Daniel;
        >
        > Welcome to the group.
        >
        > From your description the short run of housing from the last cable stop to the hub casette joint is how I would handle the cable routing. I did something similar on my Steelwool Tweed with the difference that the braze ons on that frame were designed for top routing of the shifter cable with the final stop being on the seat stay. The final short run of housing required an S bend but the shifting is working fine. My solution, and the design of the Steelwool braze ons, did require me to use a in line cable adjuster.
        >
        > At least one other member has reported using naked cable all of the way from the down tube cable stop to the hub, again not on a Crosscheck frame however.
        >
        > Rich Wood
        >

        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "dcoffey01" <dcoffey01@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello folks - since I have just discovered the Geared Hub group I thought I would say hi and introduce myself...
        > >
        > > I live in Edinburgh, UK, which residents will know is a moderately hilly city in Scotland. I have always had incredibly second-hand bikes before (my previous being an 80's Kona Cindercone MTB I was given on Freecycle and refurbished as a 21-speed utility bike).
        > >
        > > Almost exactly a year ago, I donated it to the Edinburgh Bike Station and bought a new Surly Cross-Check fixed gear bike (40/16 - I did say it was hilly) which my 41-year-old knees have been gamely struggling with for 12 months.
        > >
        > > Finally I have decided enough is enough and am going back to gears. As anyone who has tried single-speed or fixed will no doubt agree, the nice clean lines of the chain and bike tend to put one off "doing the derailleur thing" so I have ordered a Shimano Alfine rear wheel which should be ready within a week.
        > >
        > > While looking for reviews and comments on the Nexus and Alfine hubs I bumped into this group, which is handy because I have a fitting question specific to the Surly Cross-Check frame which I hope someone may be able to answer...
        > >
        > > I do not intend to zip-tie the shifter cable if at all possible. The shifter will be going on my flat handlebars as usual, housing will run to the right-hand downtube shifter boss where I have a barrel adjuster. I will be running the cable bare down under the bottom bracket and along the right chain-stay to the cable stop there but I can't visualise what happens next. I assume you go back to cable housing till you reach the hub itself.
        > >
        > > Can someone post a link to a pic of how you handle the last few inches of cable on a nexus/alfine on the Cross-Check frame please.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for the help.
        > >
        > > Daniel.

      • dcoffey01
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2009
          Hi Rich - I was wondering if the larger audience over at the Bike Forums would have a picture of someone who had cabled it up successfully since I suspect it will be a very short and s-shaped piece of housing indeed.

          I don't have any cable-cutters or chain tools myself so I suspect the easiest thing is to go to my LBS and explain clearly what I want them to do. I have the choice of a nearby and brand-new shop of unknown providence or a much further away shop that I have used before. Hopefully for a relatively simple task as this, the nearest shop will suffice.
        • Jack Vincent
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2009
            Use a full lengh housing and cable direct to the CJ unit. That is how it should be done and just zip tie it to the frame. Simple, protects the cable more and you won't have to try and hassle with a very short piece of housing at the end.

            Sent from Jack Vincent's Iphone

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "dcoffey01" <dcoffey01@...> wrote:

              > I do not intend to zip-tie the shifter cable if at all possible. The shifter will be going on my flat handlebars as usual, housing will run to the right-hand downtube shifter boss where I have a barrel adjuster. I will be running the cable bare down under the bottom bracket and along the right chain-stay to the cable stop there but I can't visualise what happens next. I assume you go back to cable housing till you reach the hub itself.
              >
              > Can someone post a link to a pic of how you handle the last few inches of cable on a nexus/alfine on the Cross-Check frame please.

              The new rear wheel has just arrived with an Alfine SG-S501 and after taking the opportunity to give the Cross-Check a good clean, I have fitted it with no issues. For anyone else thinking about this hub on this frame, you need the silver/white pair of anti-rotation washers that are included in the standard Alfine fitting kit.

              Now, as you may remember, I was concerned about the last little bit of cable housing from the chain-stay cable-stop to the hub. Sure enough, there is precious little room for housing there as the following photo will show...

              http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/AlfineCable.jpg (40Kb 750x500px)

              The actual distance between the two stops is only 70mm horizontally and about 30mm vertically as well as 15mm in depth. It certainly looks like I will be using cable-ties all the way. Once I have got it cabled, I will show you what it looked like.