Re: New Member's Area Of Interest

  • Mike Bullis
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
      As one with wonky knees(meniscus surgery in '05 and car-bike accident
      in '07)I'm all about lower gears. My knees and I are happiest in the
      63 to 72 inch range for flat land riding, 40 to 54 inches in the
      hills. I prefer to stay seated and spin while climbing than to stand
      and mash.
      As my knees have been getting better this past season(no more pain
      descending stairs)I have been EASING into slightly higher gears for
      short distances, but staying below 80 inches. I doubt that I'll ever
      push a 108 inch gear again, though.

      Hey, folder fanatic, I have a 2 speed fixed gear folder lovingly
      called 'The PolishedTurd'. It's not one the nice ones that you have
      like the Brompton, but one of those italian buggers that were
      everywhere in the seventies. Welcome aboard.

      Cheers,

      Mike

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
      <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Roger;
      >
      > Up to a point. Per your Yahoo profile I have about 40 years on
      you,
      > unfortunately! BTW cute dog in your profile photo;-)
      >
      > Too high a gear can be rough on knees per cycling authorities. The
      > older the knees the more care recommended. Better a gear you can
      > spin w/o excess strain and go to a higher gear as you gain strength.
      >
      > I admit that many road racers use very high gearing by most
      > standards, even in the mountains. I also remember though that
      Lance