Re: New Member's Area Of Interest

  • brandon
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
      I agree Rich but i can climb pretty steep roads on my AW but it is a
      fair bit of effort but i am sure once you get used to the AW it
      becomes easier since your leg muscles get stronger if i was climbing a
      steep hill and the hill was a pretty big climb and i had to ride up it
      everyday i would probably prefer a newer hub or a derailleur or maybe
      just walk the bike up the hill.
      anyway yes the old shimano hubs are pretty rare i am not sure what
      model it is but it could be one of the hub models mentioned.

      Brandon.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
        Roger;

        Up to a point. Per your Yahoo profile I have about 40 years on you,
        unfortunately! BTW cute dog in your profile photo;-)

        Too high a gear can be rough on knees per cycling authorities. The
        older the knees the more care recommended. Better a gear you can
        spin w/o excess strain and go to a higher gear as you gain strength.

        I admit that many road racers use very high gearing by most
        standards, even in the mountains. I also remember though that Lance
        Armstrong tried to be more of a spinner than a masher in mountain
        riding, as did Miguel Indurian. With 12 TDF wins between them I am
        not going to argue much.

        I also note that Frank Berto, tech editor for Bicycling magazine for
        years and author of the book "Upgrading Your Bicycle" said he saw 9
        bikes overgeared for every one correctly or undergeared. Of course
        his book was from before triple chainsets became at all common.

        Bike gearing and preferences in it are very much a personal choice
        and dependent on a lot of factors.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
        <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

        > I agree Rich but i can climb pretty steep roads on my AW but it is
        > fair bit of effort but i am sure once you get used to the AW it
        > becomes easier since your leg muscles get stronger if i was
        climbing a
        > steep hill and the hill was a pretty big climb and i had to ride
        up it
        > everyday i would probably prefer a newer hub or a derailleur or
        maybe
        > just walk the bike up the hill.
        > anyway yes the old shimano hubs are pretty rare i am not sure what
        > model it is but it could be one of the hub models mentioned.
        >
        > Brandon.
        >

        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
        > <astronut1001@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Welcome to the group.
        > >
        > > The AW certainly has the reputation for long life and
        reliability.
        > > Totally satisfactory if you live in an area that is flat or has
        only
        > > moderate hills. Personally I prefer more gears and a wider
        overall
        > > gear range for local riding conditions.
        > >
        > > I would love to find out some info as to which AW version is
        more
        > > reliable, the older oil lubricated ones or the late English
        produced
        > > and Taiwanese grease lubed versions.
        > >
        > > I have never personally tried a folding bike.
        > >
        > > Rich Wood
      • Mike Bullis
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
          As one with wonky knees(meniscus surgery in '05 and car-bike accident
          in '07)I'm all about lower gears. My knees and I are happiest in the
          63 to 72 inch range for flat land riding, 40 to 54 inches in the
          hills. I prefer to stay seated and spin while climbing than to stand
          and mash.
          As my knees have been getting better this past season(no more pain
          descending stairs)I have been EASING into slightly higher gears for
          short distances, but staying below 80 inches. I doubt that I'll ever
          push a 108 inch gear again, though.

          Hey, folder fanatic, I have a 2 speed fixed gear folder lovingly
          called 'The PolishedTurd'. It's not one the nice ones that you have
          like the Brompton, but one of those italian buggers that were
          everywhere in the seventies. Welcome aboard.

          Cheers,

          Mike