New Bike Ordered

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2008
      Well I just ordered a Civia Hyland Rohloff bike today so I should soon
      be able to gain some familiarity with the Rohloff 14 speed gear hub
      unit.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        The Civia Hyland Rohloff bike should be here Tuesday by current best
        estimate. Looking forward to taking delivery of it.

        BTW per published specifications the Rohloff hub weighs about 200
        grams less than the SRAM 9 speed disc brake or freewheel hub. The
        SRAM drum brake or coaster brake equipped hubs are even heavier yet.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008
          Picked up the Civia Hyland Rohloff bike Monday.

          First impressions:

          Well made and equipped. Also expensive. Overkill in some cases as
          for instance it has circular plate type chain guards or guides on
          BOTH sides of the chain ring as well as a full length upper run
          chain guard. The chain is certainly not going to come off even if
          adjusted way too loose.

          Fenders are paint matched aluminum with lots of wrap. They should
          be very effective.

          The rack is light but heavy duty. Rated for 25 Kg or 55 pounds
          according to the manual. It sits very close to the fender and rear
          wheel so weight carried is as low as possible.

          Components are excellent quality. Stem and seatpost are Thomson.
          The saddle is a Fizik Aliante. The fork is full carbon fiber.
          Brakes, crank set and generator hub are Shimano Alfine. The Alfine
          parts are claimed to be Ultegra level quality for
          commuter/city/geared hub type bikes, Shimano's best for this
          category of bikes.

          Light output of the Shimano Hub generator headlight is minimal. I
          may upgrade the headlight to one of the German LED ones which
          reportedly have about 4x the light output, 50 to 60 Lumens. I have
          installed a CygoLite mount too for when I want reallly bright
          battery operated lighting.

          The Rohloff hub appears smaller and the SRAM 9 speed on my Swobo.
          Per factory specs it is also lighter. Both are similar spec as they
          are freewheel hubs with disc brake rotors installed. Operation is
          smooth and it is quiet in gears 8 through 14. You can hear the
          internal gears whirring away in the lower gears. Even new however
          it feels smoother and more precision than any other geared hub I
          have ridden. For the price it should!

          An item to get used to is shifter rotation is opposite that of the
          SRAM unit. The shifter is rotated clockwise for higher gears; ie
          the top is rotated away from the rider. The SRAM shifter is rotated
          towards the rider for higher gear selection.