Shimano Deore free wheel

  • George Kaplan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
      Can some one please tell me how to remove the free wheel from my Deore hub on my mountain bike? If I insert the removal tool and turn counterclockwise it just freewheels and does not come off. The bike is 20 years old. Any ideas?

      George
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        George;

        Welcome. This is primarily a geared hub bikes group. I hope you have a bike with one of those too. Addressing your problem.

        Sounds like the wrong puller or the freewheel is damaged or, more likely you are dealing with a freehub. Sure that it is not a freehub rather than a freewheel? They do disassemble differently and require a chain whip in addition to the disassembly tool If truly a freewheel read the article below.

        http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

        For freehub info read here. Basically the sprockets are held on by a outer sprocket or special nut that is threaded on the outer part of the hub. This is rotated by the tool while the chain whip is used to prevent rotation of the rest of the sprockets. Here is a link to Sheldon's freehub article.

        http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

        I know that my 1990 Trek 950 original Deore LX rear wheel is a freehub rather than a freewheel. You need to know which you have.

        Rich Wood