Re: Oil bath, for Nexus?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2008
      Bob;

      Have you seen this discussion on Hubstripping?

      http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2007/11/14/shimano-alfine-hub-
      strips/

      Here is a PDF which shows the oiling kit pictured in the Spanish
      Language page I believe that you refer to and it appears to be a
      Shimano item. Item 10 on the PDF. A dealer should be able to find
      out if it is available here.

      http://www.hubstripping.com/shimano-inter8/shimano-grease-oil-en.pdf

      Looks like the inner mechanism is removed from the shell and
      immersed in the oil. I personally would also make sure that the hub
      bearings were greased as part of reassembly. Not sure how often the
      disassembly and oiling would need to be done. Hopefully
      instructions in English are included with the oiling kit.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Power" <bobpower@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello! -
      >
      > I hope this works... I am a new group member.
      >
      > I'd like to consider running my Nexus Inter-8 on oil rather than
      grease, but the only instructions I've found so far (a photo-with-
      captions essay on hubstripping.com) are written in Spanish. I
      assume there's a de-greasing process before the oiling process, but
      that's not what the photos seem to show. Can anyone help?