Re: Stop me if you've heard this: new eccentric BB

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
      PJ;

      I do not believe that it has been posted before. Thanks.

      Looks good and not as expensive as the German one as I recall. It looks like the popularity of SS and FG bike conversions is providing a number of frame parts that are also useful for IGH conversions. I will post th link in the Links area.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      > Didn't see this in the archives; could have missed it.
      >
      > For regular Bb shells. Less expensive than the Trickstuff one. Info here:
      >
      > http://www.forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/
      >
      > PJ

    • palatine_ej
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2009
        > For regular Bb shells. Less expensive than the Trickstuff one.

        - does it adjust for a full link?

        - might be a low cost solution for SS/IGH chainlines if the frame is a disc compatiable and no tensioner is required.

        One would have to love their frame and hate tensioners to use this solution. A Surly tensioner cost $40, SS frames are starting to proliferate at the $200 level. I'm sure they'll sell, I'd would buy a new/used frame before I would purchase this solution.

        Eric
      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2009
          palatine_ej wrote in part:
          > - does it adjust for a full link?

          Don't know - but of course since one can buy half links for popular chains useable on IGH drivetrains, this in-a-standard-shell eccentric only has to adjust the distance of a half link.

          PJ
        • Darol Hinton
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2009
            Some sort of eccentric seems like the elegant solution IMO (except maybe weight) on a single speed/IGH bike.  It allows vertical dropouts which make for easy wheel removal and there's no adjusting the rear disc brake when you adjust the chain tension.  My EBB works just dandy.  No creaks and no fuss.  I had to change a tube on the road a few weeks back and the R&R of the wheel was about as easy as a derailleur bike.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2009
              Darol;

              Vertical dropouts make for easy rear wheel removal and reinstallation except with the NuVinci hub. Their design of anti rotation setup for the drive side for vertical dropouts makes rear wheel removal a bit of a PITA.

              Have to unbolt the chain tensioner then undo the different size axle nuts used on each side. Three wrenches of different sizes are required. The NuVinci was definitely designed for horizontal dropouts and the design of the vertical dropout adaptation is not nearly as well done IMO.

              Rich Wood