9819Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Another hybrid gear bike

  • js montes
    Jun 6, 2014
      John,
      Thanks for the comments and the clearing of the question of the single neutral in the AW hub. The Steyr copy seems very faithful to the AW original as parts interchange easily with S-A hubs. And you are right, that hub came from a Steyr Goodwill bike purchased while we were in Boston  in the late 60's. I had forgotten the origins.
      The 3-speed cluster freewheel is not disabled, and you can feel the lag in taking up the drive after coasting for a while. But the gear change remains OK.  Next time  I open it the pawls will be blocked.

      Another  question  regarding the length of the axle protruding from each side on the AW hub. Does it have to be exactly the same on the two sides? If not, will that modify the gear change action? Hadland is not very explicit on this point.

      Sergio Montes
      Kingston Beach, Tasmania, Australia

      On 7/06/2014 6:06 AM, John Allen jsallen@... [Geared_hub_bikes] wrote:
      At 12:19 AM 6/6/2014, js montes jsmontes-1937@... [Geared_hub_bikes] wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from js montes included below]

      I have had several hybrids, and the lucky purchase of a nice 3-speed cluster while travelling in Santiago, Chile,  gave me the occasion to assemble yet another. The cluster in question is of Taiwanese manufacture, quite well finished and it was only 3 dollars at one of the many shops in San Diego St. which is the haven of the Chilean bikers, about three street blocks with probably more than fifty shops offering everything one could dream, including custom frame building, cargo bikes, etc. I wish I'd purchased a few more of these clusters, as they work very well.

      If this cluster freewheels, you should disable the freewheeling or the hub may not shift well.

      I am using an old (about 1960)  Sturmey Archer AW hub,  which came with a nice brightly chromed  case, branded JC Higgins, which I think was the house brand of the Sears stores in USA.

      Yes.

       I believe that hub is a good reflection of the build quality of the AW, as nothing was required regarding repairs or maintenance, just adding a teaspoonful of oil, per instructions. The cluster threaded onto a threaded carrier of even  older vintage.

      I think that is a Steyr (Austria) hub, which was a licensed AW copy. IIRC Sears imported bicycles from Steyr Daimler-Puch in Austria. Sturmey did not use a ribbed shell.

      The hub was laced to a 27" rim and installed in an Apollo frame, as shown in the photos. The gear change is effected through a Shimano 6-speed derailleur thumb shifter. By some luck the clicks coincide with gear positions. The stem mount of the shifter is also very convenient, with direct drive position being vertical.
      The cluster has gears with 16-19-22 teeth and in combination with the internal gears and the two chainrings ( 52-42) up front, it has a range between 38.5 and 117 in. This range of 3 to 1 is not bad, but it has to be conceded that the present set-up is overgeared and will be changed shortly for a more practical one with a 46-36 set of front chainrings, giving a high of 103 and a low of 33 in. Normal gear is direct drive on the 19 t. rear sprocket which would then be 66 in., rather than the 74 in.  at present. Tasmania is very hilly and 38 in. is not low enough for any extended ride.
      I have a question for the Sturmey Archer experts. The hub seems to have only one neutral between 2nd and 3rd gears, but not between 1st and 2nd. In practice this is not a problem, but it is at a variance with other AW hubs I have. Is that normal, perhaps a feature of the JC Higgins version?

      No AW or copy has a neutral between first and second. The gear-ring (right-side) pawls are pushed down by the clutch in low gear, so drive is from the gear ring through the planetary gears to the planet-cage pawls. In middle gear, the clutch releases the right-side pawls and drives the gear ring for direct-drive, and in high gear, the clutch drives the planet cage, which drives the gear ring by way of the planetary gears.

      I attach some photos of the hub and installation.

      Sergio Montes
      Kingston Beach, Tasmania, Australia

      John S. Allen

      Technical Writer/Editor,  http://sheldonbrown.com