9595RE: Newbie - ALFINE 8 Shifting problems

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Feb 6, 2014

      Sorry, you are wrong here.  Noise from and IGH does not always mean there is a problem.

      Page 7 on this PDF directly from Shimano:

        http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-SG0003-00-ENG.pdf

      Many other Shimano documents discuss the noises from an IGH too.

      Nexus/Alfine 8 is probably one of the most durable hubs I have seen and I have overhauled hundreds of them. The only real problem is water intrusion.  Alfine solves that with better seals.  I use a Nexus 8 on my Bakfiets with a Stoke Monkey.  It clunks once in a while if I forget to "push in the clutch" by letting off the throttle, but there is no damage or wear inside.

      --

      Sincerely,
      Aaron Goss

      Aaron's Bicycle Repair, Inc.
      9988 15th AVE SW, Suite E
      Seattle, WA   98146

      (206) 938-9795

      RideYourBike.com

      ---In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.
      com, <danstrom@...> wrote:

      Of course someone will claim they talked to "someone" at Shimano and it's "no problem".  Over on bikeforum they claim Shimano says it's OK to shift  an Alfine under load.  Undocumented sources are the bane of the internet, nothing new here.

      My fellow MTBers are extreme users of Alfines.  We use primary ratios in the range of 1.1~1.3 without failures for years at a time.  And we never allow a clunk to go undiagnosed.  If the cassette joint isn't jamming and the cable/shifter isn't binding, then it's time to switch the hub over to oil (Alfine 8) or replace the lube (Alfine 8 with ATF or Alfine 11 with factory oil).

      If you're clunking, you're damaging the hub and if that's OK with the rider, then by all means, enjoy it.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic