8211Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Sram E-matic automatic hub gear

  • Zack B
    Feb 20, 2013
      Early adopters should be aware that Sram has a really bad track record of supporting its IGH customers in NA with replacement parts and repairs.

      I would wait until it becomes clear that both are going to be available for this system before investing in it.

      It does look like the most attractive E-bike system to date.

      On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Benjamin Nead <mcnead@...> wrote:
      Very interesting, Zack . . .

      I note that both hyperlinks in your post are older articles (March and
      September 2012) but the SRAM E-matic is news to me.
      The Road.CC article from last March seems to imply that we'll see the
      E-matic "next year" (ie: sometime in 2013.) I'm curious to check it out.
      Anyone know what it might cost?

      A bit of googling brought up the below link, which is from SRAM's site
      and opens as a PDF. It's a tech document with measurements and
      installation details for the E-matic . . .

      cdn.sram.com/.../gen.0000000004181_rev_a_ematic_frame_fit_specifications.pdf

      Ben in Tucson

      Zack B wrote:

      > http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/sram-force-2013-groupset-eurobike-2012-35165/
      >

      > "Finally, entering the growing e-bike market, SRAM have debuted a rear
      > hub based automatic transmission that’s smart enough to make gearing
      > speed sensitive. Speed and torque sensors in the hub control torque
      > output to improve overall efficiency and increase battery life.
      >
      > Maximum torque is 55Nm, and the transmission offers more power at low
      > settings, making it good on hills. Hardware consists of just the auto
      > hub and battery pack, with a single wire between them, simplifying
      > builds and complexity. As with the smart automatic shifting hub,
      > there’s no need for any gear shifters."
      >
      > http://road.cc/content/news/54570-sram-goes-electric-e-matic-e-bike-power-system
      >
      > "The hub houses a processor, automatic transmission and motor, and
      > power delivery is controlled by a ’sophisticated algorithm’.  Which
      > means, claims the company, that power is delivered intelligently, when
      > you need it, and doesn’t take away from the bike-y feel of the bike.
      > It also tails off the power gently, to prevent you hitting the wall
      > when the maximum assisted speed is reached. In Europe, that’s 25km/h;
      > in the States, that’s 20mph. Who likes hitting the wall at 25km/h? And
      > who knew that Americans were allowed to go faster?"
      >

      > --
      > -Zack

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional