4972Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Chosen Fixed/Free Hub

  • Rick Paulos
    Apr 14 4:04 PM
      I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
      freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.

      Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
      highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
      backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
      to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
      the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
      hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
      nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
      I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
      riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
      could be a problem.

      You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.

      Rick