RE: [Gauge0] E&T Critical

  • Tony Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      Comment posted by Brian Lewis

      We still have this absurdity where
      >an E+T member, attending the Warley/NEC show, stays in
      >hotels although he lives less the 30 minutes driving time
      >away?

      Brian,

      This is only part of Guild work that I can speak with any authority having
      done four or five shows with Geoff Grandfield during his many years as E&T
      officer.

      Frankly I was exhausted after each show. Not just carting stock around but
      more importantly the mental strain having the profound responsibility of
      logging hundreds of sales in amongst the mêlée that surrounds the E&T stand
      during open hours, and making sure the correct estate was credited.

      Later enjoying the "jolly" that you appear to be so critical of, we spent
      each "Holiday Inn" evening pricing stock, after sales completing each
      estates own accounts down to the last penny. I can assure you that at that
      late hour it was a necessity just to fall asleep were we were. Food? Oh yes.
      We eat royally, from a plate of sandwiches sent up to our room. I don't know
      what Peter and the current team have to deal with but it can't be much
      different.

      I'm just sad that Geoff isn’t still around to answer the unfounded
      criticisms you are levelling at the E&T, and by association it's VOLUNTEERS.

      Cool it off, please, or we may lose a valuable service even YOU might want
      to be used by your family, for lack of suitable volunteers coming forward.

      Tony Spencer

      P>S> I will admit to the only perk the job has. You do get to see the items
      first.
    • Pearman Books
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Tony
        I had forgotten that Geoff Grandfield used to run the E&T stand, when did he
        cease?

        Bob Pearman
        >an E+T member, attending the Warley/NEC show, stays in
        >hotels although he lives less the 30 minutes driving time
        >away?

        Brian,

        This is only part of Guild work that I can speak with any authority having
        done four or five shows with Geoff Grandfield during his many years as E&T
        officer.

        Frankly I was exhausted after each show. Not just carting stock around but
        more importantly the mental strain having the profound responsibility of
        logging hundreds of sales in amongst the mêlée that surrounds the E&T stand
        during open hours, and making sure the correct estate was credited.

        Later enjoying the "jolly" that you appear to be so critical of, we spent
        each "Holiday Inn" evening pricing stock, after sales completing each
        estates own accounts down to the last penny. I can assure you that at that
        late hour it was a necessity just to fall asleep were we were. Food? Oh yes.
        We eat royally, from a plate of sandwiches sent up to our room. I don't know
        what Peter and the current team have to deal with but it can't be much
        different.

        I'm just sad that Geoff isn't still around to answer the unfounded
        criticisms you are levelling at the E&T, and by association it's VOLUNTEERS.

        Cool it off, please, or we may lose a valuable service even YOU might want
        to be used by your family, for lack of suitable volunteers coming forward.

        Tony Spencer

        P>S> I will admit to the only perk the job has. You do get to see the items
        first.

        You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tony Spencer
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Pearman Books" <pearman.books@...>
          wrote:

          > Tony
          > I had forgotten that Geoff Grandfield used to run the E&T stand,
          when did he
          > cease?
          >
          > Bob Pearman

          Hi Bob,

          He unfortunately deceased, aged just 71, in 1997. Guild No.300.

          I am not sure but it was probably about four or five years earlier
          when he decided to give up the E & T work. It was a real priviledge
          to have assisted him, and he was my introduction to 7mm Finescale at
          the Ilford & West Essx MRC.

          Tony Spencer
        • Pearman Books
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
            I met him at the first Ilford Show that I attended as a trader and we got on
            well, he became a good customer, I can well believe that your evenings at
            Guild Shows were spent allocating and balancing the books, that is how he
            would have it.

            Bob Pearman
            > > I had forgotten that Geoff Grandfield used to run the E&T stand,
            > when did he
            > > cease?
            > >
            > > Bob Pearman
            > >

            > Hi Bob,
            >
            > He unfortunately deceased, aged just 71, in 1997. Guild No.300.
            >
            > I am not sure but it was probably about four or five years earlier
            > when he decided to give up the E & T work. It was a real priviledge
            > to have assisted him, and he was my introduction to 7mm Finescale at
            > the Ilford & West Essx MRC.
            >
            > Tony Spencer
            >

            > You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            27/01/2006

          • richard_clark@tinyworld.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
              It was my privalige to have Geoff as part of my team while Chairman of M & F
              in 1991, he was well liked by all and like Bob; I confirm his attention to
              detail was superb and his ability in providing an excellent service to
              members and families was second to non. I recall with trepidation having to
              except his resignation from the post and woundering how on earth I would to
              find a suscessor to follow in his footsteps. Thanks also to members like
              Tony Spencer who helped the E & T at that time. Now could someone remind me
              of Geoff Successor?

              Richard C 3448

              > I met him at the first Ilford Show that I attended as a trader and we got
              on
              > well, he became a good customer, I can well believe that your evenings at
              > Guild Shows were spent allocating and balancing the books, that is how he
              > would have it.
              >
              > Bob Pearman

              27/01/2006

              > You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              It has removed 3802 spam emails to date.
              Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
            • Tony Spencer
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                Hi Richard

                His name was Vic I believe. I cannot remember his surname, but he
                unfortunately joined Geoff whilst still in E&T office.

                I have no doubt someone who has ready access to the Guild magazine at that
                time could confirm. Mine are buried in the loft and I cannot get to them at
                present.

                Regards

                Tony.

                Message: 2

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Hi Tony

                  Was it Vic; was this surname 'Reeder' I recall? I to would have to
                  search my loft to find a file worse; I'm not sure which end of it even to
                  start! I do know Vic had an exceptional workshop which kept the E & T in
                  tools and equipment for over a year following his passing. I know I was
                  seeking course scale chair slides and gauges at the time and found not a
                  couple but two boxes full of them! The other item which came from his
                  workshop was a photo. of a L & Y Dreadnought at York, which I had seen
                  before in publications but this was from the original negative I suspect. I
                  will never match his skills but I do have the photo over the workbench as a
                  reminder of my favourite locomotive and another of a well respected college
                  who supported us.

                  Cheers
                  Richard

                  > His name was Vic I believe. I cannot remember his surname, but he
                  > unfortunately joined Geoff whilst still in E&T office.
                  >
                  > I have no doubt someone who has ready access to the Guild magazine at that
                  > time could confirm. Mine are buried in the loft and I cannot get to them
                  at
                  > present.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Tony.

                  > Message: 2
                  > Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:14:27 -0000
                  > From: <richard_clark@...>
                  > Subject: Re: Re: E&T Critical
                  >
                  > It was my privalige to have Geoff as part of my team while Chairman of M &
                  > in 1991, he was well liked by all and like Bob; I confirm his attention to
                  > detail was superb and his ability in providing an excellent service to
                  > members and families was second to non. I recall with trepidation having
                  > except his resignation from the post and woundering how on earth I would
                  > find a suscessor to follow in his footsteps. Thanks also to members like
                  > Tony Spencer who helped the E & T at that time. Now could someone remind
                  me
                  > of Geoff Successor?
                  >
                  > Richard C 3448
                  >

                  > You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tony Spencer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                    Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 20:32:08 -0000
                    From: <richard_clark@...>

                    Hi Tony

                    Was it Vic; was this surname 'Reeder' I recall? I to would have to
                    search my loft to find a file worse; I'm not sure which end of it even to
                    start! I do know Vic had an exceptional workshop which kept the E & T in
                    tools and equipment for over a year following his passing.

                    Cheers
                    Richard

                    Hi Richard,

                    Yes it was Vic Reeder. Your story reminded me of one estate we collected
                    from a widow in Ongar. Her husbands workshop was similar to Vic's. Machine's
                    everywhere.

                    The remarkable thing was the collection of Model Engineer magazines. They
                    were all laid open at the plans page, one on top of another in a single
                    pile. There must have forty years of magazines and they were about four feet
                    tall from the floor!! I remember that one well.

                    Tony