Electricians Solder

  • isle_of_thanet
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi all, it would appear that all lead based electricians solder is
      going to be banned from 2006 so stock up!!

      regards

      Alan
    • Bill Bedford
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:47:54 -0000, isle_of_thanet wrote:
        > Hi all, it would appear that all lead based electricians solder is
        > going to be banned from 2006 so stock up!!

        Why?

        Do you know that the lead free substitutes won't work as well, or are
        you just having a bout of fear-of-the-unknown?

        Bill Bedford

        "Nothing is as important as model railways and even that isn't very
        important"

        -some wiseguy somewhere
      • Dennis Mowatt
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
          There is a knowledgeable thread on this subject on the 7mm group:

          You would be well advised to join this group.

          (I suspect that this is what Bill Bedford meant to say <g>)

          Regards

          Dennis Mowatt
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
            You obviously enjoy winding people up but i think you are just a sad
            old man

            Best wishes old chap

            Alan--- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bedford <billb@m...> wrote:
            > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:47:54 -0000, isle_of_thanet wrote:
            > > Hi all, it would appear that all lead based electricians solder
            is
            > > going to be banned from 2006 so stock up!!
            >
            > Why?
            >
            > Do you know that the lead free substitutes won't work as well, or
            are
            > you just having a bout of fear-of-the-unknown?
            >

            > Bill Bedford
            >
            > "Nothing is as important as model railways and even that isn't very
            > important"
            >
            > -some wiseguy somewhere
          • Chris Higgs
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
              --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "isle_of_thanet" <alan@c...> wrote:
              > You obviously enjoy winding people up but i think you are just a
              sad
              > old man
              >
              > Best wishes old chap

              And how do you know he is old?

              I met Bill at Wells, and middled aged seems more accurate.

              But he certainly does enjoy winding people up :-)

              Chris Higgs

              > Alan--- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bedford <billb@m...> wrote:
              > > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:47:54 -0000, isle_of_thanet wrote:
              > > > Hi all, it would appear that all lead based electricians solder
              > is
              > > > going to be banned from 2006 so stock up!!
              > >
              > > Why?
              > >
              > > Do you know that the lead free substitutes won't work as well, or
              > are
              > > you just having a bout of fear-of-the-unknown?
              > >

              > > Bill Bedford
              > >
              > > "Nothing is as important as model railways and even that isn't
              very
              > > important"
              > >
              > > -some wiseguy somewhere
            • isle_of_thanet
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
                --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Higgs" <chris_higgs@c...> wrote:

                > --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "isle_of_thanet" <alan@c...> wrote:
                > > You obviously enjoy winding people up but i think you are just a
                > sad
                > > old man
                > >
                > > Best wishes old chap
                >
                > And how do you know he is old?
                >
                > I met Bill at Wells, and middled aged seems more accurate.
                >
                > But he certainly does enjoy winding people up :-)
                >
                > Chris Higgs
                I met him at Wells as well and he looks a lot older than that

                Alan

                > > Alan--- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bedford <billb@m...>
                wrote:
                > > is
                > > >
                > > > Why?
                > > >
                > > > Do you know that the lead free substitutes won't work as well,
                or
                > > are
                > > > you just having a bout of fear-of-the-unknown?
                > > >

                > > > Bill Bedford
                > > >
                > > > "Nothing is as important as model railways and even that isn't
                > very
                > > > important"
                > > >
                > > > -some wiseguy somewhere
              • Ian Norman
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                  --- In Gauge0@yahoogroups.com, "isle_of_thanet" <alan@c...> wrote:
                  > Hi all, it would appear that all lead based electricians solder is
                  > going to be banned from 2006 so stock up!!
                  >
                  > regards
                  >
                  > Alan

                  I have been using lead based solders for more than fifty years and
                  offer the following comments that may be of interest to members.

                  I have recently been in hospital and as I was having blood tests
                  every other day to track down the cause of a liver complaint I
                  suggested to the doctor that he run a test for long term accumulation
                  of lead. After hearing my comments about my long term use of solder
                  he had the test run and it showed that there was no evidence of build
                  up of lead even after fifty years. He also said that one would never
                  get lead poisoning from handling lead based products. You would have
                  to be sucking the solder or items painted with old lead based paint
                  to get lead poisoning.

                  Ian Norman
                • Bob & Sheila Alderman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                    Ian
                    That's encouraging!
                    Bob

                    > Hi all, it would appear that all lead based electricians solder is
                    > going to be banned from 2006 so stock up!!
                    >
                    > regards
                    >
                    > Alan

                    I have been using lead based solders for more than fifty years and
                    offer the following comments that may be of interest to members.

                    I have recently been in hospital and as I was having blood tests
                    every other day to track down the cause of a liver complaint I
                    suggested to the doctor that he run a test for long term accumulation
                    of lead. After hearing my comments about my long term use of solder
                    he had the test run and it showed that there was no evidence of build
                    up of lead even after fifty years. He also said that one would never
                    get lead poisoning from handling lead based products. You would have
                    to be sucking the solder or items painted with old lead based paint
                    to get lead poisoning.

                    Ian Norman

                    You received this message via the Gauge0 email group.
                    To access the group's archives of past messages
                    and members uploaded pictures and files, go to
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gauge0/

                    For details of the G0Guild email group for members,
                    former members and potential members of the Gauge 0 Guild,
                    go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G0Guild/

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Ray
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                      Ian,

                      Delighted to here you are up and at it again.

                      Best regards,

                      Ray Bounsall