Re: The E-Mail sent yesterday evening

  • KEVIN PEARSON
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2000
      Dear All

      First of all, please may we apologise for the incorrect wording and date on the message. As per last night, although typed in by myself, the following is a message from the members of the Events Committee. The ACTUAL message should, of course, have read as follows:

      " IMPORTANT NOTICE

        The Events Committee find that they are in dispute with the present Board and Chairman of the Gauge O Guild Limited, and can no longer work with them. The Events Committee feels that, unless Richard Clark resigns as Chairman of the Gauge O Guild Limited by 9am on Monday the 6th November 2000, the Events Committee will resign. "

      End of message

      Once again, apologies to anybody who may have been a little confused.

      Kevin Pearson

    • Brian Lewis
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000

        The Americans have a lovely saying, “It is better to have a person inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in”. (Excuse the vernacular). In my case, the Board evidently thought otherwise. However, I hope that my thoughts on the statement sent by Kevin Pearson yesterday are not construed as urinating in any particular direction…

        An en masse resignation cannot be the way forward and will be highly destructive to the Guild. Even at this late hour, I urge you to think again.

        What happens if Richard digs himself in? The Guild is in crisis, but it will pass. Replacements will come forward to carry out your tasks. They may be chaos in the short term; they may not do it as well. However, they will do it. Within a year, it will be as if you were never there at all.  Richard meanwhile, will be seen as the natural rallying point for those concerned about the future of the Guild. You – as I said yesterday, will be seen as wreckers. Is that what you really want?

        Now what happens if Richard does resign? Does it end here? As I see it, a resignation by Richard makes the position of John Birch and John Evans, untenable and they will have to go. You will have to make a decision on Sandy Gorski, but I guess he will ultimately be replaced. Peter Walker and Mike Vincent are not heavyweights and you could afford to ignore them for the moment. You are left with Roy Davis and Owen Gibbon.  Have you thought this far and have you names pencilled in as replacements for these posts?

        Please, step back from the brink. Gather sufficient names and call an EGM. The motion to be something to the effect that the Guild has lost confidence in the actions of the Board. If carried, all the Board members, being honourable people, should resign en masse. A second motion should be put to the meeting immediately, reinstating, ‘friendly’ Board members and others to fill the gaps. You then call a Council meeting to ratify the changes.

        Richard, I know you are a member of this list, so presumably you will read it. Certainly, someone will transmit it to you. You have one year left. Do you really want to see the Guild torn apart in the name of Richard Clark? I am sure you care for the members, whom you have served for so long, I suggest to you that you are now rather like poor Margaret Thatcher. Removing her may have been the wrong decision, but at the time, it was the only decision that could be made. Every businessman, at some point in his life has to divest himself of outside interests and concentrate on his business. It would be a noble gesture if you now felt that it was time for you to concentrate on your livelihood.

        One way or another, there will be a coup and you will go. How much more noble it will be if it is bloodless and you leave with your head held high. I should think there would be an honorary life membership – if the rules allow for this, in it for you.

        Regards

        Brian Lewis

        Tel: +44 1 275 852 027

        Fax: +44 1 275 810 555