Reminder - North East Essex GOG

  • Gauge0@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001

      North East Essex GOG

      Date: Saturday, December 8, 2001
      Time: 2:00PM - 5:00PM GMT

      Group meeting, all welcome, test track and mince pies. Church
      Hall, New Church Road, West Bergholt, Nr Colchester,contact
      Martin Long
      or John Flower 01206 501092
    • Brian Lewis
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2001
        Hi,

        In a moment of weakness, I purchased a DJH Kit. Now I have to
        confess I am happier soldering white metal, than I am painting
        the stuff. I have cleaned up, dressed the surface with my usual -
        Autosol and fingers/palm of my hand and finished off with Shiny
        Sinks and 1.1.1 trichlorethane aerosol.

        The surface is much improved, but the tiny surface 'pits'
        associated with white metal, are still there. Now on a w/m wagon
        kit, this is no problem, but I want something better for this
        loco.

        My thoughts are to blow a coat of primer over it, leave it for a
        week to harden and bring it back with Tee Cut. Doing this 2-3
        times should do the trick. However, although it would be no
        problem to do this with the individual castings, this would cause
        problems when I come to solder it up. To perform this operation
        on a build up body runs the risk of unevenness and possible
        removing surface detail from some of the smaller castings.

        I am possibly overlooking something obvious. Can anyone offer
        some advice please?

        Regards

        Brian Lewis
        Tel: 01 275 852 027
        Fax: 01 275 810 555
      • Stephen Freeman
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2001
          Hi,
          Am a bit surprised in what you say. DJH's castings do not usually suffer
          from pitting as some others do. Having said that, I had to fit some
          Springside parts to a loco and their quality seems to have slipped a bit
          too.

          In message <PPEAKFMJNFGNOFKGFONIMECBCAAA.brian@...>,
          Brian Lewis <brian@...> writes

          --
          Stephen Freeman
          http://www.borg-rail.demon.co.uk
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2001
            Hi Stephen,

            nothing to do with the change of ownership I hope............

            Regards

            Brian Lewis
            Tel: 01 275 852 027

            --
            Stephen Freeman
            http://www.borg-rail.demon.co.uk

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            FREE COLLEGE MONEY
            CLICK HERE to search
            600,000 scholarships!
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/KaCslB/TM

            For details of the G0Guild group for members, ex-members and
            potential members of the Gauge 0 Guild, visit
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G0Guild . For more information
            about the Gauge 0 Guild, visit the Guild web site at
            http://www.gauge0guild.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Richard Barton
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2001
              Brian
              I have never used the idea but I have a note made some twenty years ago that
              spreading a thin layer of nail varnish on a pitted or porous white metal
              surface is a solution to the problem.
              Regards
              Richard Barton
              > In a moment of weakness, I purchased a DJH Kit. Now I have to
              > confess I am happier soldering white metal, than I am painting
              > the stuff. I have cleaned up, dressed the surface with my usual -
              > Autosol and fingers/palm of my hand and finished off with Shiny
              > Sinks and 1.1.1 trichlorethane aerosol.
              >
              > The surface is much improved, but the tiny surface 'pits'
              > associated with white metal, are still there. Now on a w/m wagon
              > kit, this is no problem, but I want something better for this
              > loco.
              >
              > My thoughts are to blow a coat of primer over it, leave it for a
              > week to harden and bring it back with Tee Cut. Doing this 2-3
              > times should do the trick. However, although it would be no
              > problem to do this with the individual castings, this would cause
              > problems when I come to solder it up. To perform this operation
              > on a build up body runs the risk of unevenness and possible
              > removing surface detail from some of the smaller castings.
              >
              > I am possibly overlooking something obvious. Can anyone offer
              > some advice please?
              >

              > Regards
              >
              > Brian Lewis
              > Tel: 01 275 852 027
              > Fax: 01 275 810 555
              >

              > To access the group archive of past messages, database resources, and
              members uploaded pictures and files, go to
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gauge0

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2001
                Good idea, but what shade of nail varnish?????

                Seriously though, I have done something similar, but with Loctite
                431. It seems to work OK.

                Regards

                Brian Lewis
                Tel: 01 275 852 027
                > In a moment of weakness, I purchased a DJH Kit. Now I have to
                > confess I am happier soldering white metal, than I am painting
                > the stuff. I have cleaned up, dressed the surface with my
                usual -
                > Autosol and fingers/palm of my hand and finished off with Shiny
                > Sinks and 1.1.1 trichlorethane aerosol.
                >
                > The surface is much improved, but the tiny surface 'pits'
                > associated with white metal, are still there. Now on a w/m
                wagon
                > kit, this is no problem, but I want something better for this
                > loco.
                >
                > My thoughts are to blow a coat of primer over it, leave it for
                > week to harden and bring it back with Tee Cut. Doing this 2-3
                > times should do the trick. However, although it would be no
                > problem to do this with the individual castings, this would
                cause
                > problems when I come to solder it up. To perform this operation
                > on a build up body runs the risk of unevenness and possible
                > removing surface detail from some of the smaller castings.
                >
                > I am possibly overlooking something obvious. Can anyone offer
                > some advice please?
                >

                > Regards
                >
                > Brian Lewis
                > Tel: 01 275 852 027
                > Fax: 01 275 810 555
                >

                > To access the group archive of past messages, database
                resources, and
                members uploaded pictures and files, go to
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gauge0

                > For details of the G0Guild group for members, ex-members and
                potential
                members of the Gauge 0 Guild, visit
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G0Guild .
                For more information about the Gauge 0 Guild, visit the Guild web
                site at
                http://www.gauge0guild.com

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/