outdoor decorative ballast

  • Michael Nelson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      My outdoor railway is just about ready for its first run but I need some
      advice about ballast.
      The track is secured and levelled on tanellised wooden roofing laths an I
      now need to lay ballast between the sleepers.
      At the sides of the track I have laid coarse grit but this is a bit too big
      to go between the rails.
      I need some sort of ballast that can be laid on the track as it stands so
      that is will fit in the gaps between the sleepers , look roughly to scale
      and not blow away. If I pour a cement based mix between the rails it will
      fill the gaps but also cover and spoil the sleepers.
      One idea I had ( advice on its suitablity welcome) use a waterproof glue
      such as cascamite to "paint" the wood under the rails, and whilst wet put on
      some sort of fine grit which would stick to the wood and cover it.

      At themoment the gaps are covered with some of the coarse grit but everytime
      the wind blows some of the stones get blown next to the rails and so catch
      on the loco .

      I have looked in freezers garden railway book it has nothing on this
      specific problem.

      thanks in advance
      Mike
    • ZoeWyvern@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
        In a message dated 01-08-01 03:25:59 Eastern Daylight Time,
        fellside@... writes:

        Mike,

        I used a mixture of 50% chicken grit (crushed granit)
        and 50% plaster,
        spread between the sleepers
        and watered with a spray tip on the gargen hose.

        It's been down for 10 years like this,
        and hasn't moved at all.

        Zoƫ

      • Mike Nelson