RE: [Gauge0] Superglue Outings

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 1:46 AM
      Try Loctite 480. It is not a gel, but a black rubberised liquid.
      I will take some samples of rail I have glued together to Halifax
      and invite anyone to pull them apart.

      It is expensive - £ 17.74 a bottle, but it is good.

      Is the real reason there are two success rates over the use of
      superglue, that the stuff you get from your friendly local DIY
      store, does not have the strength of the industrial grades.

      Time for Andrew to conducts some tests perhaps?

      Martin Wynne's comment about gap filling qualities is flawed. Few
      adhesives have any strength in themselves - it is their ability
      to adhere to a surface in a thin film that makes them work.
      Anyone knows a tightly soldered joint is stronger than one where
      there is a visible 'sandwich' of work - solder - work.

      My own view is that inadequate preparation is responsible for a
      significant proportion of joint failures. Holding the surfaces to
      be mated with your fingers can add enough grease to prevent
      adequate adhesion. Moral: clean thoroughly, wash with solvent and
      handle with similarly cleaned forceps.

      Regards

      Brian Lewis
      Tel: 01275 852 027
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 11:48 AM
        Brian,

        Sorry, I'm a supergluephobe too. I find it either sets too quickly or
        too slowly - never just right.

        Andrew Hartshorne

        Model Signal Engineering
        www.modelsignals.com