Re: [Gauge0] Kadee couplings

  • The Woods
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 31, 2001
      Further to my rather curt reply last night - I was tired and was enjoying
      the effects of an extremely palatable Estramadura!

      I have no connection with Trevor Shaw but will vouch for all he claims for
      Dinghams. They are very 'unfussy' and, particularly when blackened, very
      inconspicuous. They are very easy to fit and seem to be quite rugged. It
      really is easy to still connect to stock that still has 3 links or screw
      couplings - as I can testify because I still haven't fitted all my stock
      yet. The pre-uncoupling when you push a rake of wagons over the
      electromagnet is extremely satisfying. Like all new ways of working, they
      take a little getting used to simply because you have to think before
      completing a move in order to get all your uncoupling done in one pass. But
      that is true of Kadees too. I really like the Kadees (on my 0/16.5) but it
      is so much nicer to not have to shuffle over the magnet using Dinghams as
      you have to with Kadees.

      If you would like to see both in action (Dinghams and Kadees that is),
      Cranborne Joint will be at Barrow-on-Soar April 21/22nd and Chatham June
      9/10th. If you are at either of these shows, please come and say hello.

      > >If you want an alternative try the Dinghams - they fit easily into stock
      (
      > >just replaces the original coupling hook and 3 think or whatever) have
      > >delayed action, aren't easy to spot and are definitely compatible with
      stock
      > >which retains the original 3 link type coupling. I don't have any link
      with
      > >Trevor Shaw othjer than being a user of the couplings.

      Roy Wood
    • Trevor Shaw
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2001
        Roy Wood writes nice things about Dinghams for which I thank him.

        Skipton & District Railway Society's "Lofthouse" (Nidd Valley Light
        Railway) will also be at Barrow on Soar and at Halifax. Anyone who wants
        Dinghams will be able to get them from Peter Dobson (Newbold Models) at
        the shows.

        You will also be able to have a laugh at Dinghams' originator making a
        mess of using them, especially if you talk to him when he's operating.
        Never could do two things at once.
        --
        Trevor Shaw
      • Bob Alderman
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
          Trevor
          You may have seen in a recent G0G Manual a description of certain automatic
          couplings. These were prepared by yours faithfully as part of a series on
          all the varieties of auto couplings extant. I thought I had asked you for a
          wagon set of Dinghams for this purpose, but can't find them if I ever had
          some. Do you think you could forward me some to fit and describe for the
          Manual please?
          Bob

        • Brian Lewis
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
            Bob - if you do a piece for the manual, do please point out the
            down side, i.e. they look hideous and are not universal - there
            is a non interchangeable 'male and female' end.

            A pity really, for 7mm really does need an automatic coupling
            that is not as 'temperamental' as AJ's.

            Regards

            Brian Lewis
            Tel: 01275 852 027
            You may have seen in a recent G0G Manual a description of certain
            automatic
            couplings. These were prepared by yours faithfully as part of a
            series on
            all the varieties of auto couplings extant. I thought I had asked
            you for a
            wagon set of Dinghams for this purpose, but can't find them if I
            ever had
            some. Do you think you could forward me some to fit and describe
            for the
            Manual please?
            Bob

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor ---------------------~-~>
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/YlOVlB/TM
          • Bob Alderman
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
              Brian
              What you express is your view. The intention of the Manual insertion is to
              present the coupling without comment on its appearance but noting possible
              restrictions, e.g. minimum working radius or in this case the male female
              characteristic. This along with a photo will be the limit. The aim is put
              all the different types that are available in front of the modeller to let
              them make their own decision.
              I hope this reassures you Trevor.
              It would seem from the comment I've heard that this particular coupling has
              a following in spite of your comment.
              Bob

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
                Hello again.

                > Bob - if you do a piece for the manual, do please point out the
                > down side, i.e. they look hideous and are not universal - there
                > is a non interchangeable 'male and female' end.

                Yes this is true. Dinghams are one-way-round. This is not a problem on a
                small out-and-back terminus like Cranborne Joint (I even have a loco to turn
                and have solved that problem by using it with a specific set of stock - at
                least I will have when I have finished building it).
                Whether they look hideous or not is a subjective point. I don't think they
                do, others may disagree.

                > A pity really, for 7mm really does need an automatic coupling
                > that is not as 'temperamental' as AJ's.

                Dinghams are not temperamental and, if knocked out of shape (which is not
                too easy to do), can be bent back again pretty easily.
                In the end it's all up to personal choice. I have got tired of coupling up
                three links that I can't really see under the close gaze of an adoring (!),
                if critical, public

                Roy Wood
              • Barry Oliver
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
                  Not one, not two bu three layouts at Barrow on Soar with Dinghmas as the
                  Leeds MRS layout Regis Bay will be there with our first ever Dingham
                  outing - so we haven't quite got them sorted juts yet!

                  Barry Oliver

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Brian

                    back in your pit as we have built universal units - its just less complex if
                    you don't - and if you think they are hideous try operating a large welsh
                    colliery layout with those darned three links for more than a couple of days
                    and anything would appear fine!

                    barry Oliver

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
                      Hey, don't get me wrong Bro. I not trying to prevent anyone from
                      using it. It is just my thought that appearance and universal
                      application is important. How could this not be so? If it were
                      not important, we would all be using Kadee 5's.....

                      Regards

                      Brian Lewis
                      Tel: 01275 852 027

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
                        Quite agree about three links, although in actual fact I do not
                        mind using them. However, everyone finds the time it takes me to
                        hook up to be a positive waste of time and a certain cure for
                        insomnia. I have always been an advocate of automatic couplings,
                        if for no other reason than the big hand from the sky is visually
                        intrusive from the viewer's side.

                        I stand by what I said earlier, they may work fine - and I and
                        pleased to hear they are now universal, but Dingham couplings
                        look like something off the end of a dog's lead. For that reason
                        alone, I would never use them and struggle on with 3 link
                        couplings, (being GWR with the odd Instanter of course), until I
                        can find something better. I appreciate that is difficult -
                        certainly is for me, for I have spent many an hour trying to
                        fathom out something that was foolproof, reliable and would
                        withstand the rigours of operation AND being packed and unpacked.

                        In 4mm DG couplings are tolerably acceptable, but I have never
                        tried them for 7mm. Has anyone any experience of these please?

                        Regards

                        Brian Lewis
                        Tel: 01275 852 027

                        You may have seen in a recent G0G Manual a description of certain
                        automatic
                        couplings. These were prepared by yours faithfully as part of a
                        series on
                        all the varieties of auto couplings extant. I thought I had asked
                        you for a
                        wagon set of Dinghams for this purpose, but can't find them if I
                        ever had
                        some. Do you think you could forward me some to fit and describe
                        for the
                        Manual please?
                        Bob

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 2, 2001
                          In message <000501c0bb71$083d2f60$7e1a9fd4@ajtkgawk>, Bob Alderman
                          <bob@...-online.co.uk> writes
                          >Trevor
                          >You may have seen in a recent G0G Manual a description of certain automatic
                          >couplings. These were prepared by yours faithfully as part of a series on
                          >all the varieties of auto couplings extant. I thought I had asked you for a
                          >wagon set of Dinghams for this purpose, but can't find them if I ever had
                          >some. Do you think you could forward me some to fit and describe for the
                          >Manual please?
                          >Bob

                          Bob
                          Can't remember your asking me about sending you some Dingham bits.
                          However, thanks for the opportunity. I'll contact you off list.

                          --
                          Trevor Shaw
                        • ray.bounsall.rb@australia.agfa.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 5, 2001
                            Yes Brian,

                            I think they are great, strangely enough not just for the quality of operation,
                            but their inoptrusiveness.

                            Funny that....

                            Ray

                            brian@... on 04/03/2001 09:06:46 AM

                            Please respond to Gauge0@yahoogroups.com@INTERNET

                            To: Gauge0@yahoogroups.com@INTERNET
                            cc:

                          • denisgr@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 6, 2001
                              I am interested to find out more about DG couplings. Can anyone cast any
                              further light on these?

                              Cheers:

                              Denis Graves (14129)

                            • Bob Alderman
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 6, 2001
                                Denis
                                I've just done the Manual page and coupling installation for the DG. You can
                                contact them at DG Couplings, 249 Chester Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11
                                8RA. Send an sae with your letter.
                                Bob

                              • denisgr@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 6, 2001
                                  Bob:

                                  Many thanks for the info. Do they per chance have an email address? (I
                                  live "over the pond" in the US - so sending an SAE is a little tricky - You
                                  wouldn't happen to know the first class postage rate from the UK to the US
                                  per chance, would you? I think that I have some UK stamps (somewhere?).

                                  Cheers:

                                  Denis

                                • Martin Wynne
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 6, 2001
                                    Hi,

                                    > You wouldn't happen to know the first class
                                    > postage rate from the UK to the US per chance,
                                    > would you?

                                    Up to 10 grams = 45p
                                    Up to 20 grams = 65p
                                    Up to 40 grams = £1.00
                                    Up to 60 grams = £1.35

                                    No stamps? Buy an International Reply Coupon from
                                    your post office. Send that.

                                    regards,

                                    Martin W.
                                    ----------------------------------
                                    email : 85amod@...
                                    web : www.templot.com
                                  • Bob Alderman
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 6, 2001
                                      Denis
                                      Sorry no e-mail address known. Can't get the telephone number either, owners
                                      name does not appear on packaging or my correspondence! First class rate UK
                                      to US Air Mail under 10 grammes GBP 0.45p or under 50 grammes GBP 0.65p. If
                                      your stamps are insufficient or lost remember the International Reply
                                      Coupon.
                                      Bob