phone

  • John Berry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hi,

      Yes Bob I must put my hands up to stirring it, hopefully with the best
      of intention, just to make us think of the poor manufacturer. As our
      hobby is their business (and frequently their hobby and passion as well)
      the enthusiasm can sometimes lead us to forget the economics. Frequently
      a telephone call produces a better result than a letter for the modeller
      and despite its cost is frequently cheaper for the manufacturer than
      time lost writing replies.

      However, having lived until a few months ago in Spain for 8 years, my
      perception of telephone costs are still instinctively tinged with
      Spanish charges or British charges 8 years ago. In Spain even a call to
      3 miles away, if it just happens to be across the border into the next
      Province, costs an arm and a leg. This correspondence has made me look
      at UK charges in this day and age, where I am delighted to see that a
      National call at 2pm is literally only a few pence an hour more (approx
      25p) than a local call was in Spain and is at a level that would not
      break the bank, only dent it very slightly.

      As an aside, as a manufacturer, I also instinctively return customers
      calls however long they take, and also being enthusiastic about my
      business/hobby am guilty of letting the call take the time neccessary to
      discuss the problem regardless of the cost. Now I have seen the costs I
      will not have quite such a gutted feeling when a call finishes after
      half an hour, as I have on occasions in the last few months. When I was
      checking my bill before writing this I was suprised to find one call I
      thought had cost me at least an arm was in fact 63p.

      Regards
      John Berry